Macbook Hardrive needs to be formatted but how?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kidchop, Jul 5, 2009.

1. kidchop macrumors member

On my hardrive i have three OS installed. Leopard, Linux (Ubuntu) and Windows 7. After trying all these i like Leopard the most. But i have a problem how do i get rid of the others in the most safest way?

The Linux is installed on my Mac os partition and the Windows 7 is installed on a separate partition called bootcamp but on bootcamp i get this error when trying to delete it "The startup disk cannot be partitioned or restored to a single partition." "The startup disk must be formatted as a single Mac OS Extended (Journaled) volume or already partitioned by Boot Camp Assistant for installing Windows."

Please how can i just have Leopard with all of my hardrive available. I have an external hard drive with weekly back ups. Also i have deleted access from boot to access Linux by deleted a third party app that i installed to boot linux

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

To delete your Boot Camp partition you need to run Boot Camp Assistant again

It will give you the option to delete the partition

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. kidchop thread starter macrumors member

It says it can not be deleted as said in my original post. How do i format my drive so that eveyrthing has gone and then i can restore from my time machine so that Windows and Linux has gone

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

You will need to boot from the DVD that came with the computer, or with a retail version of Leopard

Insert the DVD and reboot holding the "C" key to boot from the DVD

Use Disk Utility from the DVD to erase the disk
    Select Mac OS Extended (Journaled)

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. kidchop thread starter macrumors member

Thank you i will try when i have completed all my network downloads then do it say Monday. So this will delete all partitions on my hardrive?

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Yes, that method will delete everything. Make sure you backup the important stuff first.

7. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

Yes, this will delete all partitions on the hard drive and have it completely erased, you will then have to go through the leopard installer and restore your files from a time machine backup using the migration assistant at the end

8. kidchop thread starter macrumors member

Thanks guys, you are so helpful i am currently doing it now wish me luck

9. -tWv- macrumors 68000

-tWv-

If you have any problems just post back here with them