Macbook has been slow

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jjones24, Sep 20, 2013.

1. jjones24 macrumors newbie

So I just bought a MacBook from a friend. An early 2011 MacBook Pro 13'' with an i7 processor. Lately it has been running really, really slow. I have nothing on it besides a few pictures, Skype, League of Legends, and Sophos Anti-Virus. I uninstalled both League and Sophos (although I'm not sure I uninstalled correctly.) Safari is slow to load, it has about a 3-5 second delay just to open a new tab, and about 5-8 seconds to open a page. Theres delay to view pictures on my desktop. What can I do to make it faster? Or at least, not as slow. Also, would i be able to completely reboot my MacBook? I don't have the installer disc thing, but i hear its not necessary. Please help, thanks in advance.

2. tag macrumors 6502a

tag

3. bcgullett macrumors newbie

bcgullett

What are the specifications your MacBook. Found in the About this Mac selection when clicking on the Apple in top left corner. Do you have a large number of photos or large iTunes playlist as well?

Attached Files:

4. jjones24 thread starter macrumors newbie

Processor: 2.7 GHz Intel i&
    Memory: 4 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
    Startup Disk: Macintosh HD

I don't have any pictures besides a few screenshots and i have 0 songs. However, when i browse my laptop, there are many items that I have never seen before. Such as word documents from the previous owner.

5. bcgullett macrumors newbie

bcgullett

And when you go the memory section of your Mac, what does the breakdown look like. See Example:
    I clearly have a large qty of photos, audio and movies. I was recently experiencing slow response times and ofter freezes. Especially when I was opening and working in iPhoto and there were other applications open. I upgraded my Memory from the standard 4GB to 8GB. This chance has made a world of difference.

Attached Files: