Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iunnohead

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Today my MacBook froze up, so I powered it down. When I turned it on, it got stuck at the spinning wheel. Then I turned it off, removed the battery, and booted it again. this time I got stuck at the blue screen. Can you please help me!

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006
Have you tried keeping it on and running after you come to the blue screen? Also, you might want to try to boot up with the OS X install discs and see if you can run a hardware diagnostic test. Maybe the hard drive crashed or something.

Any additional details, like Macbook specs and if you did anything like install new software/hardware, may help.

iunnohead

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2008
Have you tried keeping it on and running after you come to the blue screen? Also, you might want to try to boot up with the OS X install discs and see if you can run a hardware diagnostic test. Maybe the hard drive crashed or something.

Any additional details, like Macbook specs and if you did anything like install new software/hardware, may help.

I took it to the Apple Store since I live nearby, and they tried a few things and then recommend an Archive and Install. This will let me keep all of my settings, files, music, photos, videos, and apps, right?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
I took it to the Apple Store since I live nearby, and they tried a few things and then recommend an Archive and Install. This will let me keep all of my settings, files, music, photos, videos, and apps, right?

i think it will keep everything, but other than data files (photos, videos, musics, files), I dont think you will retain system settings, and Im not sure if you can run the app right away. It might need to be moved back from archived folders (which is easy anyway).

For whatever you want to do, back up first in case it fail.

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006

Correct, but I would still back up anything that is critical to you as in important documents and photos. You just never know what might happen.

iunnohead

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2008
i think it will keep everything, but other than data files (photos, videos, musics, files), I dont think you will retain system settings, and Im not sure if you can run the app right away. It might need to be moved back from archived folders (which is easy anyway).

For whatever you want to do, back up first in case it fail.

Is there a way to backup if my computer wont turn on though?

And how do I access the archived folder after the installation?

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006

it will be in your HDD with a name of something like "previous system", easy to find, no worries.

about backup, i don't know, I have used linux live CD to backup things. but Im sure other ppl would have better idea that fits macbook better.

MarkMS

macrumors 6502a
Aug 30, 2006

As for backing up a computer that won't turn on, I have no idea. You can try finding a Linux (Ubuntu) LiveCD distro and move files to a usb drive. If not, you can just bite the bullet and hope all goes well.

But for accessing the folder after the install, it will be easily seen on the OS X partition. It will be labeled "/Previous Systems".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.