MacBook HD and ComboDrive

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by SaintDiablo, Aug 9, 2008.

1. SaintDiablo macrumors member

Recently my MacBook's HD stopped working I just couldn't boot into it! It was really strange so I tried starting it up with my Leopard disc and it just spat it out after it spinning around for a while, creating quite a racket. It says the HD is not mounted so I took it out and put it back in multiple times and it still didn't work. So I'm wondering if both my HD and my ComboDrive are both broken...The HD is one I installed myself, it's a 250GB Samsung HM250JI partitioned at 232.9GB. I've had problems with Samsung drives in the past with a 160GB Samsung HD, and that broke also. These HD problems also always seen to happen once I install Windows on my MacBook, before that it would work fine, and once I install Windows it just goes to Hell. Any suggestions? Also would it be possible for the people at my Apple Service Center to switch my ComboDrive to a SuperDrive. Also my ethernet plug doesn't work and my MacBook makes quite a loud grinding sound.
    Here's a screenshot of what Disk Utility says at just the regular analysis of the drive.
    [​IMG]
    And here's one of it after attempting to repair it.
    [​IMG]

2. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Sounds like it's not the hard drive, but the Win install. I currently have four Samsung drives and they've not given me any problems. Since there's only a single volume on that drive, how are you installing Win?

3. SaintDiablo thread starter macrumors member

4. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

In your posted image, there's only one volume on the MB's hard drive ("MacBook HD"). If you installed Windows with Boot Camp, there should be two volumes. Can you clarify?

5. SaintDiablo thread starter macrumors member

Well I deleted the Windows partition because I thought it would just cause too many problems, but the bigger question is that if it's possible to save my files?