Macbook HD Clicking-like sound

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by sheepopo39, Jan 24, 2009.

1. sheepopo39 macrumors 6502

The sound that I'm hearing is one that I've been hearing for quite a while. Its quite a quiet sound and I can hear faintly when I am using my macbook on my lap or if my head is close to it. What has been stumping me is that I am wondering if it is my hd starting to fail, even though that its been going on pretty much since I've had it and I rarely experience application crashes.

So does anybody have any ideas on what it could be. Maybe hd failure or just something benign.

Thanks

~

2. sheepopo39 thread starter macrumors 6502

Oh I forgot to mention that there is a crack at the bottom right of the macbook (due to it getting caught on a couch cushion one time I was sitting down)

3. Halsey12 macrumors regular

I had one that clicked in a MacBook. Couldn't repair permissions, and Disk Warrior could not even do anything to it. But the computer still ran and worked. I took it in and they indeed replaced the hard drive... I think it was corrupted beyond repair. I'd take it in to be safe, and back up your stuff.

4. sheepopo39 thread starter macrumors 6502

wait are you saying you could not repair permissions, cause I've been able to do it on mine, could it also be to the fact that I've got about a 2 cm crack on the bottom right curve on the macbook, which is right about where the hd is, so could the sound be like seeping out of there?

5. JamesGorman macrumors 65816

JamesGorman

mines been doing the same thing and i called apple and they said that i should go to an apple certified technician and get it repaired, so come monday thats exactly what im going to be doing. because even if the click is very faint, it does get quite annoying, and when you spend 2000 dollars on a computer it shoudlnt be clicking.

6. sheepopo39 thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm gonna call them about and since I have a few questions about some other stuff. It is odd though cause I've had the rare app crash that doesn't require rebooting, I've always stayed at a steady amount of space and its been going on since I've had that crack.

If I have to get it replaced should I instead, just upgrade it to a Solid State hd?

If I do send it in, I might as well have that crack fixed.

Should any sound be coming from an hd?

Oh and more that I think about it it doesn't sound like clicking like the examples I've heard on youtube and I can't really describe

Oh and I never got apple care :(

7. sheepopo39 thread starter macrumors 6502

8. sheepopo39 thread starter macrumors 6502

sorry for all the posts, but I'm now starting to wonder that it really is nothing and that it is just me being paranoid :) cause the sound really isn't like a clicking sound :)

9. jpk32092 macrumors 6502

HD= high definition
    hdd= hard drive

yes, you're just being a little paranoid :p

i'm on a roll with these hdd vs hd threads! :D

10. sheepopo39 thread starter macrumors 6502

11. walldawg84 macrumors member

there is an issue i had with a new hard drive i installed, when it is idleing and I'm basically doing nothing it has a clicking sound which, accoring to a couple of other threads and a genius in-store is the 'head' of the hard drive parking

there are examples on the forum of how to disable this sound by altering the APM, a power management setting, but from what I was finding out it can decrease the life of your drive because it's not really resting if idle and the disk is constantly running

i don't know if i've explained this right, but had a search through the threads and see if you can't find anything

my resolution = leave it and get used to the sound, i did, but get it checked out if you can to make sure you get a definitive answer you're happy with.