Macbook HD Crash

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Zeke, Oct 9, 2007.

1. Zeke macrumors 6502

So while using the macbook yesterday, the beachball started spinning, the fans fired up and the computer refused to do anything at all. I tried force quitting to no avail and eventually had to hard power down (hold power button). When you try and turn the computer on it just goes to the flashing question mark file folder after a minute or so. It also makes a funny click 3 times when you turn the computer on. I tried resetting the PRAM (didn't ever get the second chime), resetting the SMC (remove batter and hold down power button 5s), and tried starting in target disk mode to see if I could read the HD from another computer (no go).

I was able to start the macbook using my other computer as target disk mode and was not able to find the macbook internal drive upon starting up. Anyone experience this problem and have any insight as to failure mode (is this recoverable with software or must be sent to data recovery)? Will freezing the drive have any chance of success? Worth trying or should I just send it out (don't want to damage the drive further but I would freeze in zip-loc with desiccant if I did it).

Anyone have any experience with data recovery companies (preferably east coast) that are reasonably priced and competant? I was looking at aerodr (flat fee $289). Thanks for the help.

2. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

can you boot from the install CD and see your internal HD?

3. Zeke thread starter macrumors 6502

Forgot to mention: could not boot from OS X CD. Only way I could boot the macbook was booting off my Mac Pro in target disk mode (which did not see the internal HD).

4. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

I'm assuming that you mean disk utility did not see it, right?, not that it just wasn't mounted and visible in the finder.

5. Zeke thread starter macrumors 6502

You assume correct. The disk utility (including Diskwarrior 3) did not see the drive at all.

Anyone?

6. TheStu macrumors 65816

Have you tried pulling the drive and plugging it directly into the Mac Pro? They are the same drive interface.

7. Zeke thread starter macrumors 6502

No but I'm not sure how they could have the same interface since the Mac Pro has 3.5" drives and the macbook a 2.5". Am I missing something?

8. FJ218700 macrumors 68000

FJ218700

^^ no, you're not missing anything ^^

I'd just put a new drive it. ~ $100 US will get you 80-120 GB. Or, if you have AppleCare . . .
    Sucks, but drives just fail sometimes.

9. Zeke thread starter macrumors 6502

Yeah, I'm getting a new one (credit card extended warranty). The issue is that there's data on the drive that I need (backup lesson learned). I'm planning on sending to Aero Data Recovery unless someone knows of another place in the south east.

10. sonictonic macrumors 6502a

Can you give us more details about what you were running, etc? :confused:

It scares me to think something like this can happen, and so randomly. How does this happen?

11. TheStu macrumors 65816

They are the same interface. I said nothing about the drive size. They are both SATA, and with SATA, they have identical power and data connectors (as opposed desktop IDE and notebook IDE). Sure, they are different sizes, but they have the same connectors. So you might have to work to get it plugged in (the connector is way back in the body of the machine IIRC) but it will work just fine in terms of connectivity. No idea if this will actually let you access the drive, but hey, what do you ahve to lose?

12. Zeke thread starter macrumors 6502

Safari.

I got an external enclosure and tried to hook it up that way to no avail.

13. Carnivorious macrumors newbie

Same problem

Hey Zeke..

How's your mb doing?

Had the same problem in September. Although it destroyed both my hd and my backup hd.. So i'm in trouble now.
    Does anyone have a clue to waht this could be all about. The repair guys have tried to figure it out since november :eek: