Macbook HD died - go SSD?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by JT3Jon, Jul 19, 2011.

1. JT3Jon macrumors member

Hello,

I have a older macbook (1.83
GHz
Intel
Core
Duo, 2GB ram, OS 10.6
) and my 7200rpm HD just died on me. I'm wondering if I should pickup a replacement 7200rpm (or even 5200rpm) SATA HD or spend extra for an SSD. Anyone using an SSD as their OS drive in their laptop? Notice any improvements?

I'm the type of user who never shuts down his laptop, so booting up speed isn't an issue as it happens so rarely. Also, I dont do much heavy work on my laptop. I will occasionally record audio in protools, but thats always to an external FW drive. The laptop is mainly used for surfing the web, for web video playback, and for appleworks. Its my understanding that SSD's make launching applications MUCH faster, but once opened, do they still show performance gains?

Would an SSD make any sense for me?

2. blackburn macrumors 6502a

blackburn

It really depends on how much space you need and how much money you are willing to spend. I do have a tendency to trash laptop hard drives, since I was going to the 3rd drive I went with an ssd. It's MUCH faster than the hdd it replaced. It boots really fast, and apps launch almost instantly. And it survives the beating that my macbook gets daily:D

So it's up to you, but ssds are quite expensive, but they sure can take a beating:p I don't know if your macbook supports sata 2 but anyway the latency will be way better (works if the ssd is sata 2 and your macbook ain't:)).

Just make sure that if you chose the ssd route that you chose a decent ssd.