MacBook HD going bad?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CultusFiend, Jun 4, 2008.

1. CultusFiend macrumors newbie

A couple of days ago I was just watching a video on youtube and I noticed that it froze and I kept hearing a clicking sound. I thought it was the video but it turned out that my whole system was unresponsive and the clicking was coming from the hard drive. I restarted my computer and everything ran perfectly, but I immediately re-backed up all of my important files. So far, I've only encountered a few problems like Safari hanging when it normally wouldn't but that's once in a blue moon. Is it possible that the hard drive is going bad or could it have been a one time glitch? At the moment I'm running techtool deluxe doing a surface scan, and so far nothing has come up. All the other tests that were preselected, my mac passed. Suggestions?

2. cyclingplatypus macrumors 6502a

cyclingplatypus

Pop in your install disk and run the hardware check, most likely it is your HDD and luckily you have probably caught it early enough that you can clone your drive and just pop in a new one.

3. BothBarsOn macrumors regular

There was a bad batch of Seagate hard drives in Macbooks at one point. I found that out the hard way. In my case, there was no real warning, it just went CLICK-CLICK-CLICK-EHHHHH, the latter noise being a death rattle. Totally unrecoverable.

I'd check if you have a Seagate drive if I were you. And in the meantime, keep backing up.