Macbook HD into New MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tcapote, Apr 3, 2009.

1. tcapote macrumors newbie

I currently have a Black :apple: MacBook, 2.2Ghz (last Gen). I upgraded the HD to a 320gb, 7200rpm drive and all is working well.

I am now buying a new :apple: MacBook Pro. it is coming with a 320gb HD, 5400rpm.

I am considering putting the 7200rpm drive in to the new MacBook Pro, my question is: Can I just simply put the 7200gb drive into the new MacBook Pro with the existing OS install, with all my data and all will be well?

Obviously new chip sets, video cards, new track pad etc on the new MacBook Pro, will it auto detect updated hardware? Will it work? do I even want to do this?

Or should I just do a clean install? Do I even want to put in the 7200rpm drive?

Would sure like to hear your thoughts!

Thanks!
    CMT

2. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I would get an external 2.5 sata enclosure.

Make a bootable clone of the blackbook HD with superduper (or another backup program).

Boot up the 5400 rpm drive in the blackbook, then erase and clean install the 7200 rpm drive in your mbp. Setup with network, then use the migration assistant on both machines.

Alternatively, you can keep the cloned 5400 drive in the enclosure, boot the clean install of OS X and run the migration assistant and point it to the external drive.

Warning : I don't know how robust the migration assistant is so make sure it will copy what you want.

3. tcapote thread starter macrumors newbie

Ahhhh, Migration assistant, interesting idea!

I do use SD, used that when I upgraded my HD in the Black MacBook, from 160gb to 320gb.

Interesting option. I will have to look that up!

Thanks!

4. kolax macrumors G3

You are best doing a fresh install, though it probably will work if you installed the OS X combo update again.

Bear in mind that a 7200RPM drive will suck away at your battery quite a bit compared to a 5400RPM drive. I have a 7200 drive and noticed right away when I swapped it for my 5400.