Macbook HD Playback

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by drewster, Aug 4, 2008.

1. drewster macrumors member

For the current gen macbook, with the X3100 graphics, how does the system handle HD video

1) on the screen 1080i and 720p?
    2) on an external monitor attached, at resolution of 1680 x 1050 and at 1900x1200?

Thanks.

2. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

From what I've heard around the board, it seems to handle 1680 X 1050 fairly well thats what I'm using and it seems great. However, I'm not to sure about the 1900 x 1200.

3. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

With the right software it'll do 1080p and DD/DTS without any trouble at all. But the "right software" only exists in the form of XBMC (and maybe VLC).

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

It should have no issues with most 1080p, but some big action scenes might lag a bit; also just get 720p movies since the screen is only that big!

5. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

except if you have an external screen :p then youd want the best.

6. DarkFlame macrumors regular

This has been a number one concern for me, even vlc does not distribute the hd video and DTS among the cores very well and you get hiccups now and then. Its just a matter of software however, who knows how long before it works properly. I believe if you double boot into windows and use wmp11 it works flawlessly.

7. KoolStar macrumors demi-god

KoolStar

8. DarkFlame macrumors regular

xbox media center for os x? didn't know that was an option.

9. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

http://xbmc.org/download/

You would think Apple would be the best at programming applications for OS X, but Quicktime is simply awful at it. I guess they've been too distracted with other things lately. :rolleyes: