Macbook HD problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by MilitaryMac, Jun 4, 2010.

1. MilitaryMac macrumors newbie

Hello everyone! New member to the forum and I'm desperately searching for the answer to my problem. I have a Macbook that I purchased back in late 2006 that has kinda died on me. Won't get past the white screen when I boot it up. But that's not my concern. My issue is that I have alot of stuff saved on the HDD that I want to get back. Pics, videos, and other things that I've saved over the years. I removed the HDD from the Macbook and tried to access it on my iMac via USB using an internal HDD case, but it's not being seen on my iMac. The light on the enclosure comes on and I hear it spinning but nothing pops up on the screen. I know that the HDD isn't damaged so what could it be? How can I recover my files? Is it possible to do this myself or even at all? Somebody please help!!!

Thanks!

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Can you see it in Disk Utility?

4. MilitaryMac thread starter macrumors newbie

It's not recognized in Disk Utility either...:confused:

5. garretruh macrumors member

Try opening Disk Utility (Applications/Utilities) and check to see if it is visible in the sidebar on the right. If it isn't your out of luck. If you can see it, but if it is slightly grayed out, then try highlighting the volume you want to see, then go up to the top of the Disk Utility window and click "Mount".

6. Synchromesh macrumors 6502a

Synchromesh

Another thing to try is plugging in a power cable into the USB enclosure. Sometimes USB doesn't give enough power to get the drive working correctly. Or you can get one of those cables that has 2 USB connectors on one side and plug in to 2 USB slots to get the power needed.

7. MilitaryMac thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay... I finally got my iMac to recognize the HDD and the HD icon pops up on my desktop but when I try to look at the files it shows nothing in the window. The files are still on there because it says that I only have 8GB left but there are no files showing up. What next???