Macbook HD replacement

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Macnoviz, May 23, 2007.

1. Macnoviz macrumors 65816

Macnoviz

Hi, I have been using my Macbook (my first Mac) for one year now, and I'm really satisfied with it.
    My only problem is that the 60 GB hard drive is becoming way too small (already had to move main iTunes library to external USB hard drive). I'm also into movie editing, which is really space consuming if you want to use your internal harddrive (I tried through USB and that's a real pain in the ###)

Now I would like some advice on the best options (cheap and reliable, I'm a student) for a 160 GB/200 GB internal harddrive and for an external enclosure to make my current harddrive into a FireWire scratch disk for movies.

Hints and tips on moving from one disk to another, and on any other part of replacing the HD are very welcome (the only documentation I have now is the Apple guide for replacing the harddrive)

Thanks in advance !

2. carfac macrumors 65816

carfac

I do not have a specific HD to recommend, but I have been very happy with the seagate (100G) I put in my HP. Do not like WD or IBM/Deskstar HD's- had bad personal experience with both of those in various computers.

As to the change over, it is pretty fun. Get an external enclosure- 20 bucks or so. Pull the old HD and pop the new one in, and put the old one in the enclosure. Install OS. Hook up the external and move your data across. Wait a week to make sure you got all you need, then format the old drive. Now you have an external BU drive! One of the few upgrades that does not have you throwing away the old components!

Dave