Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tekulvi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Rotterdam Junction, NY
I have been trying to figure out if this drive has a 2MB Buffer or a 8 MB Buffer.

There are also 2 different models of WD Passports. One is WDXMS3200TN and the other is WDME3200TN.

I wonder if each has a different version of the Scorpio in it. I know the XMS one is newer of the 2.

My model number is WDXMS3200TN.

I was in the process of cloning this particular drive so that I could replace it in my macbook. I know that it has the remnants of the WD scorpio in it. I just popped the WD Passort open....the hardware number is:

WD3200BEVT-227CT0

Now if I do a search on WD3200BEVT I can see its a scorpio. Not sure what the other numbers are "227CT0"

I know this external has been a popular purchase with the idea of switching the macbook internal ( I saw a bunch of threads).

It scares me to put a HD with a 2MB buffer in my macbook. Some people will tell you straight out that its a 8 MB buffer. Here are some websites that support the 2mb theory:

http://computers.pricegrabber.com/hard-drives/m/56966700/search=wdxms3200tn+2mb/st=query/

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3540619&CatId=136

http://stores.tomshardware.com/rating_getprodrev.php/product_id=56966700/id_type=M/st=pop/sv=review/

I worry that I just spent 149.00 on a HD that is has a 2 mb Buffer.

tekulvi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Rotterdam Junction, NY
This particular cut and paste from the Tom's Hardware site also says 2MB.

Description: Passport Portable External 320GB Hard Drive
Manufacturer: WD
Lowest Price: $144.99
User Reviews:
(4.75 / 5.00)
(Read 4 Reviews)
Rebates: (None)
Quick Glance
Capacity: 320000
Rotational Speed: 5400
Access Time: 12
Cache Size: 2
Internal/External: External
Interface: USB - Universal Serial Bus 2.0
Drive Width: 2.5 in
Storage
Capacity: 320 GB
Interface
Interface Type: USB - Universal Serial Bus 2.0
Interface: USB - Universal Serial Bus 2.0
Performance
Access Time: 12 ms
Maximum Transfer Rate: 480 Mbps
Cache Size: 2 MB
Rotational Speed: 5400 RPM
General
Form Factor Width: 2.5 in
Included Components: Cabling (Interface)
Internal/External: External
Dimensions
Weight: 3.7 oz
Depth: 5.11 in
Width: 3.14 in
Height: 0.59 in
Warranty
Warranty Information: 3 Year Limited Warranty
More Info
URL: Manufacturer Link

Csmitte

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
anyone? I know a couple of people on here have done this.

I did it also 149 for the passport, it said scorpio on the drive and had the correct part number? can someone give a down and dirty of cache speed

Star Destroyer

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2006
Do you really need 8mb buffer over the 2?

I would say 145$ is a great price for a 320GB HDD, and the ratings give it 4.75/5 so that means a lot of people really like it. I think its a keeper regardless, and its not internal so it wont slow down the system to much....
I would stop worrying, it seems like a good drive regardless.

Prelude2Tragedy

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2005
New Jersey
I did the same swap with the 250GB passport with the 2MB cache. I too was a bit disappointed realizing it was the smaller cache, but I haven't been able to discern much difference from the stock hard drive. In the end, the extra space is well worth it.

tekulvi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Rotterdam Junction, NY
Do you really need 8mb buffer over the 2?

I would say 145$ is a great price for a 320GB HDD, and the ratings give it 4.75/5 so that means a lot of people really like it. I think its a keeper regardless, and its not internal so it wont slow down the system to much....
I would stop worrying, it seems like a good drive regardless.

The point is that I purchased this drive, so that i could swap it out with the internal....and then I would put the internal in the encasing that the passport came in. I know that the passport itself is not an internal drive, but it was basically a WD scorpio inside an an external enclousure...which is what made it a better financial buy than getting the scorpio for 180 and a 30 enclousure.

It may well be a good drive, but I dont want to go out and spend 150 more dollars to get another drive because this one is not what i was looking for.

Csmitte

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
I did the same swap with the 250GB passport with the 2MB cache. I too was a bit disappointed realizing it was the smaller cache, but I haven't been able to discern much difference from the stock hard drive. In the end, the extra space is well worth it.

I have the wd 320 hd, and I cannot tell a difference? where is this difference take place.

tekulvi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Rotterdam Junction, NY

Thanks...here is the question...what does the extra buffer size provide? How does it affect the system? Does it slow down any processes. I am an Apple Logic user, so I am unsure if the buffer would make a monster of a program run any slower ( it doesnt run slow now...I have 2GB of Ram which I think may be the driving force in speed).

I just dont want to cut the nose to spite my face ( I always get these sayings wrong...but you all know what i mean).

Prelude2Tragedy

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2005
New Jersey
Im not exactly sure the specific benefits or shortcomings of a 2MB over a 8MB. I suppose there are people out there with a lot more knowledge about it than me. I just wanted to say that in my case I did not experience a noticeable hit in performance that made me unsatisfied with the larger storage space and the cost in making the swap. I also have 2GB of ram so Im sure that helps a bit.

tekulvi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Rotterdam Junction, NY
Im not exactly sure the specific benefits or shortcomings of a 2MB over a 8MB. I suppose there are people out there with a lot more knowledge about it than me. I just wanted to say that in my case I did not experience a noticeable hit in performance that made me unsatisfied with the larger storage space and the cost in making the swap. I also have 2GB of ram so Im sure that helps a bit.

I probably will give WD customer service a call tommorow...just to verify if it indeed does have 2 or 8 MBs...and to ask them what difference that aspect makes.

Even when I try to google it, I cannot find info on what buffer size does.

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
I probably will give WD customer service a call tommorow...just to verify if it indeed does have 2 or 8 MBs...and to ask them what difference that aspect makes.

Even when I try to google it, I cannot find info on what buffer size does.

From About.com:

A drive's buffer is an amount of RAM on the drive to store frequently accessed data from the drive. Since RAM is faster at transferring data than the drive head operation, it increases the speed of the drive. The more buffer on the drive, the more data that can be stored in the cache to decrease the amount of physical drive operation. Most drives today come with a 8MB drive buffer. Some performance drives such come with a larger 16MB buffer.

I just bought one of the WD 320G Passports and put the drive in my MBP this week. I checked the model number of the drive I removed from the Passport and it had an 8Mb buffer according to WD's Web site.

My new drive screams compared to the 100G 7200 RPM Hitachi that I took out.

MacDann

azdude

macrumors 6502
Sep 27, 2003
I too just did this swap.

1) The model numbers on the drive I removed from the Passport are the exact same as shown on the label for the Scorpio internal drive in the Tom's Hardware review. I can't imagine they'd make a 2MB drive and label it exactly the same. Note: this is not to say that other 320GB Passport drives don't have a 2MB drive in them... they very well might have two drives they use for the Passports, depending on available supply.

2) This drive is noticeably faster than my stock 160GB 5400 rpm drive, especially at boot. Note: this was a cloned drive, so it's not the "fresh OS install" effect that's responsible

#1 makes it likely that this is an 8MB drive, and #2 really makes me not care as much as I otherwise would.

Go for it, and enjoy.

Csmitte

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
Check out this thread for more discussion on the 8/2 MB Cache. About half way down the thread there is a post that essentially states WD is putting 8MB drives in the passport as the 2MB are not available. Also it is worth noting that the drives with different caches have different model numbers, WDxxxBEAx vs. WDxxxBEVx.

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/561009320931/p/2

You just saved me time and money, this drive works fine though in the WD Handout they dont even list a 2mb cache drive.

Attachments

• 2879-001121.pdf
    134.2 KB · Views: 121

tekulvi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Rotterdam Junction, NY
Check out this thread for more discussion on the 8/2 MB Cache. About half way down the thread there is a post that essentially states WD is putting 8MB drives in the passport as the 2MB are not available. Also it is worth noting that the drives with different caches have different model numbers, WDxxxBEAx vs. WDxxxBEVx.

http://episteme.arstechnica.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/8300945231/m/561009320931/p/2

Thanks for the info...Looks like wholesalers might have misclassified the drive as a 2MB. Out of sheer curiousity, Ill take the time out to call WD tommorow.

freitas

macrumors member
Jan 27, 2008
Ohio, USA
Thanks for the info...Looks like wholesalers might have misclassified the drive as a 2MB. Out of sheer curiousity, Ill take the time out to call WD tommorow.

Please post you response from WD. There is a lot of confusion floating around about the meaning of the digits after the model number. I put the WD WD3200BEVT-00ZCT0 (from a passport) into my macbook pro. I would love to know definitively that this in fact the 8MB cache drive. I suspect right now that they are all (if not most) 8MB drives as there is not 2MB cache scorpio version on the WD site.

M

MacDann

macrumors 6502a
Western Digital's product data is pretty clear - they don't make a 320G 2.5" SATA drive with an 8Mb buffer. The model WD3200BEVT is a 320G 2.5" drive with an 8Mb buffer only - there is no model in this series with a 2Mb buffer.

This is the drive I took out of the Passport I bought at BB last Monday.

MacDann

tekulvi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Rotterdam Junction, NY
Please post you response from WD. There is a lot of confusion floating around about the meaning of the digits after the model number. I put the WD WD3200BEVT-00ZCT0 (from a passport) into my macbook pro. I would love to know definitively that this in fact the 8MB cache drive. I suspect right now that they are all (if not most) 8MB drives as there is not 2MB cache scorpio version on the WD site.

M

Just got off the phone with WD.

They said that pretty much everything MacDann said...with additional good news...the drive has a 16MB Buffer. None of there 320s have anything less than 8 MB. I gave him my model number and Seriel number for the external HD. And even gave him the internal drive SN ( WD3200BEVT-227CT0)...and he said that my drive has a 16 MB buffer.

Now I quizzed him on why there would be several sites that have that this drive is a 2MB. He stated that it must be that they copied the lower drives capabilites and that none of the 320's have nothing less than 8MB and that mine was a 16MB buffer. I even sort of questioned why that is not available on the WD product page because that would be something of note to highlight...he said he did not know why.

I believe them. The information he gave me was really specific. This compared with MacDann and other's people's good experiences makes me now feel safe.

Csmitte

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2007
Just got off the phone with WD.

They said that pretty much everything MacDann said...with additional good news...the drive has a 16MB Buffer. None of there 320s have anything less than 8 MB. I gave him my model number and Seriel number for the external HD. And even gave him the internal drive SN ( WD3200BEVT-227CT0)...and he said that my drive has a 16 MB buffer.

Now I quizzed him on why there would be several sites that have that this drive is a 2MB. He stated that it must be that they copied the lower drives capabilites and that none of the 320's have nothing less than 8MB and that mine was a 16MB buffer. I even sort of questioned why that is not available on the WD product page because that would be something of note to highlight...he said he did not know why.

I believe them. The information he gave me was really specific. This compared with MacDann and other's people's good experiences makes me now feel safe.

How can i find out about my buffer size? can i just look in the about this mac page? or do i have to open my baby up again, i'll do it i am not scared!:( <--- is scared

tekulvi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 27, 2008
Rotterdam Junction, NY
How can i find out about my buffer size? can i just look in the about this mac page? or do i have to open my baby up again, i'll do it i am not scared!:( <--- is scared

Its either 8MB or 16MB if you have the 320GB HD according to the WD employee.

I wouldnt worry much about it as he said that none of the drives have a 2MB drive...its either 8 or 16....and he said he was pretty sure it was a 16MB.

Once again gotta give MacDann his props as he was saying this from the get go....but based on prior life events, I always have to check for myself.

EDIT:

If you have the scorpio 320GB...you have a 16MB Buffer ( that is according to the WD employee....according to the spec sheet, its 8MB...which he could not really explain).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.