MacBook HD Won't Sleep With Lid Open

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Ries27, Sep 28, 2009.

1. Ries27 macrumors newbie

I have an October 2008 Unibody MacBook. Recently the hard drive will not go to sleep with the lid open.

Prior to installing Snow Leopard, after a period of inactivity the MacBook's display would go to sleep, followed soon by the hard drive (so that the blinking white light would appear) even with the lid open. Currently the display will go to sleep but the hard drive seems to stay active.

The MacBook does go into full sleep with the lid closed.

Is there anything I can do that will allow the computer to go to sleep with the lid open?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. Burning Radio macrumors regular

Do you have any file transfers running in the background when the MacBook is open. I've also noticed this but i have Leopard on my unibody and I just thought it was when I had Safari downloading something or was downloading a torrent (Transmission). I could be wrong, but that was what I've observed.

Can anyone else shed some light on this?

3. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Check your Energy Saver settings. Make sure the Computer Sleep slider is set to a time and check the box "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible". If both are set, try doing a PRAM and SMC reset.

4. Ries27 thread starter macrumors newbie

Burning Radio,

I don't have any file transfers running in the background. At times I would have a Safari window open, but the computer would typically go into full sleep anyway. The only program I noticed that would keep the HD awake after the display sleep was iTunes.

Now it seems that no matter what I'm running (or not running) the computer will not fully sleep with the lid open.

iLog.Genius,

I'm fairly new to the inner workings of the Mac. What would be involved with a PRAM or SMC reset? And what are the risks involved? I'd hate to exchange a minor problem for a major one if I manage to mess something up.

Thank you.

5. KielderWolf macrumors regular

KielderWolf

P-RAM reset is simple;
    Reboot or turn on your computer
    When you hear the chime, press and hold Command+Option+P+R
    The computer will chime a second time, and reboot.

Depending on what international keyboard you use, your Command button may be labeled "cmd" and/or have a "⌘" symbol. Similarly, the only wording you may have on your Option key is "alt" and a "⌥" symbol.

To perform a SMC reset;
    Turn off the computer normally.
    Connect the computer to a working AC power source.
    Hold the left Shift key and press the Power button once.
    Wait five seconds.
    Press the Power button again to restart the computer.

Both processes are completely risk-free to your MacBook.

You may also want to open Activity Monitor (fastest way, press Command+SpaceBar and type Activity Monitor, and hit Enter once it is highlighted) and after selecting All Processes from the drop down menu at the top, ensure there are no (abnormal) processes running constantly that could be keeping the machine awake. I had some drivers for a HP scanner installed and found that if HPScanJetManager.app was running the MacBook would not sleep, nor safe-sleep once the battery was dead.

Good luck, Wolf ∑:•p

6. Ries27 thread starter macrumors newbie

KielderWolf,

Thank you for the information. I'll give it a try.

7. Ries27 thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm happy to report that a PRAM reset seems to have done the trick. My MacBook seems to be sleeping as normal.