Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nickXedge

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 13, 2008
Long Island
I'm not a newbie with computers, just Macs. I recently got my first Macbook, the low-end SR (late 2007). It came with the 80GB 5400RPM HDD. My original thought was that it would be enough, as I really only use it during class.

This all changed as soon as I started using it because I fell in love with it and will never buy another PC unless required by some crazyness. However, being a computer nut already, the HDD just isn't going to cut in the long run. I've already read threads on what HDDs to get so I don't really need advice there.

My question is this: will I notice drastic power consumption changes going from my original 80GB 5400RPM HDD to the same brand (Hitachi Travelstar) 160GB 7200RPM? Is the battery life going to be cut that much shorter because of this change? Battery life is very important to me as I do still use it in class everyday.

Furthermore, the Macbook (not Pro) can handle a 7200RPM HDD right? It is not a BTO option on the online store so this makes me think it might not work.

And lastly, if I was to encase my new HDD as a portable before I install it and I copied the entire contents of this HDD to it, when I install it will it have all my settings and preferences exactly the same and unnoticeable to me? Or will I still have to reinstall Leopard, add in my music and start from scratch all over again?

Thanks for all the future input guys. This forum is always so helpful, this is the first time I actually had to post to find an answer and I'm sure I will have all the info I need within 24 hours. :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.