Macbook HDD swap?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ValinS, Jan 17, 2009.

1. ValinS macrumors newbie

Ok so my Macbook has finally kicked the bucket, it's been only working on mains power for sometime now and now when I boot up the only thing that appears on screen is a grey screen with a ? in the middle.

I'm out of warranty so Apples no use here. I'm pretty sure the HDD is gone as I've put in the reboot disk and the HDD doesn't appear in startup disk.

So my question is, Is it possible to swap out the Macbook HDD for say this http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1571108 and then reboot from my time machine?

Thanks in advance,
    Valin

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I recommend anything from this list of hard drives (scroll to the bottom). Cheapest price, great customer support, and I've heard many positive reviews of the site. I would shy away from 7200RPM drives as they are more expensive and would not be beneficial unless you need faster write speeds, for work such as audio recording.

3. ValinS thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for that Snowleopard, Do you know if there is a HDD capacity limit on macbooks. As in say I were to get a 320GB drive would OSX only recognise 160 of it?

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

There is no size limit for a hard drive. I have a 320 in mine and am able to use all of it. -GDF

5. eman macrumors 6502a

Look for a 2.5" SATA hard drive of any size, 5400rpm and 7200rpm will both work.