Macbook HDD upgrade or new iMac?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by joezapple, Jun 6, 2008.

1. joezapple macrumors newbie

Hello all.

My late 2006/ early 2007 macbook 1.83GHz 2GB ram, has recently run out of hard drive space :(

It's a shame because i recently upgraded it to 2Gb of ram from only 512mb (leopard started crashing), but 60GB of HD is just a bit small, really.

My problem is, If i upgraded the hd, i MUST keep all my files and settings on the macbook, and the leopard installation. Is there an easy and cheap way to do this? What are my options???

Although, with an education discount, and a £60 off voucher, i can get the current entry-level iMac brand new from apple for just £690 with a free printer. Should I go for this (I'm only 15, have no real income :confused:)?

If i do go for the imac, how much would i fetch for the macbook (on ebay?). It is reconditioned and has a little piece of plastic chipped off the wrist-rest :rolleyes:, but works like a DREAM! And is it easy enough transferring stuff from mac to mac in the setup thingy (firewire) ?

Thanks so much for your help. :apple:

2. joezapple thread starter macrumors newbie

3. surferfromuk macrumors 65816

External Firewire Hard disk £70 tops...All problems solved.

Whatever new mac you move to later on, the external HD will still have value to you as extra storage space and backup...

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Buy an external 2.5" enclosure and a 2.5" 250GB drive. Well under £100 for both. Clone your current drive over to the new one via Carbon Copy Cloner. Test it to make sure it boots. Swap the old drive with the new one. and you are good to go plus you will have a 60GB external to use for extra storage.

Personally I purchased a WD Passport drive and opened the case to swap the drives. Its the same idea but I then have to give up any warranty on the drive and case.

5. Cheffy Dave macrumors 68020

Cheffy Dave

Sunny Florida, on the Gulf Coast in Homosassa Fl
    Buy a program called Super Duper for $27.95
    http://www.shirt-pocket.com/SuperDuper/SuperDuperDescription.html
    Clone your hard drive, remove it, install any large 7200 RPM 2.5 mm HDD.
    Clone it with your data, max out the RAM, laugh all the way to the bank:eek:

Flopitical Cube's idea above is excellent too

6. joezapple thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks very much.

This has really helped me - i really didn't think it would be that easy! :rolleyes: