MacBook HDD Upgrade

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Iomega01, Sep 4, 2007.

1. Iomega01 macrumors newbie

I'm looking to upgrade the HDD on my MacBook. The current one I have right now is 120GB. I'm looking to upgrade to a 200GB drive. Reason for this is, when Leopard is released, I'm going to run Boot Camp and want to give each partition 100GB.

So I've been searching on here on drives. I've arrived at a drive but I read somewhere on MacRumors that the drives need to be 9.5mm because 12.5mm won't fit. Not sure what the poster meant by that. But the drive I'm looking to get is...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822145160

Will this be a simple change of HDD and installing Leopard? Also, I brought my MacBook 2 days after iLife '08 was launched and they gave me a "iLife '08 CPU Drop-In DVD". Will I beable to just put in the DVD and install iLife '08 after the Leopard install?

Any advice or tip would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. weckart macrumors 68040

Most drives are 9.5" in thickness, the new Fujitsu 300GB is 12.5", for example. Just read the tech specs before buying. Bear in mind that the internal disk is SATA, not IDE and that you will have to clone the current Tiger installation onto the new disk somehow. That means either getting hold of a SATA 2.5" enclosure, getting access to another Mac/external HD with sufficient disk space to back up your current HD or starting from scratch again. Installation is easy, you just need a 00 Phillips/Crosspoint screwdriver to get to the hard drive and a Torx 08 screwdriver to release the hard drive from its caddy. The switch takes a few minutes, the most difficult part is getting the L bar covering the memory modules back in as the pads stuck on it protrude.