MacBook HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Sithikorn, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Sithikorn macrumors newbie

Mar 25, 2008
    Bangkok, Thailand
    My friend has a first-version MacBook that feature the Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz. now she upgraded the RAM from 512MB to 2GB after i told her to do so, and i've plan to buy a new HDD for her (now only have 60GB) to be a 120GB. but the problem is the interface that use in MacBook for HDD is it SATA I or SATA II ? i've read some forums that say shouldn't worry about it (SATA) but since it the first version of MacBook so i need to be sure before i give it to her for a present. Thank you in advance!:apple:
  2. Natsu macrumors member

Apr 4, 2008
    I'm no expert but if u go to fortune town (IT center) or the istudio, u might get the answer. Living in thailand right?
  3. zaney macrumors regular

Apr 6, 2008
    Middle of a field, UK
    It shouldnt matter, SATA hard drives are interchangeable. If you put a SATA II in a SATA I laptop, it should just run at the lower speed.
  4. szsiddiq macrumors 6502

Dec 21, 2005
    zaney is right, as long as it's SATA, you're good to go
  5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

Feb 12, 2007
    Neander Valley, Germany; just outside Duesseldorf
    They are all SATAI (MB, MBP, iMac, Mini) at 1.5 gbps. Have a read here.
  6. herman238 macrumors member

Feb 28, 2008
    SATA II drives are fully backwards compatible
  7. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Aug 15, 2007
    I don't want to be raped :(
    (s)he might be looking for the best buy for their friend, so a SATA 120gb HD would be Here(newegg) or Here (tigerdirect)

A lot of people will quarrel over these two sites, I personally have had better luck with Newegg, however people will say just the opposite. So my advice is figure out exactly what you need/want and then find the better deal (most arguments about the two sites are over returns.)
  8. krye macrumors 68000

Aug 21, 2007
    Any SATA drive is fine. I put a new 160G drive in my 1st gen MB without any problems. I got it from