MacBook HDD

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Sithikorn, Apr 8, 2008.

1. Sithikorn macrumors newbie

My friend has a first-version MacBook that feature the Intel Core Duo 1.83GHz. now she upgraded the RAM from 512MB to 2GB after i told her to do so, and i've plan to buy a new HDD for her (now only have 60GB) to be a 120GB. but the problem is the interface that use in MacBook for HDD is it SATA I or SATA II ? i've read some forums that say shouldn't worry about it (SATA) but since it the first version of MacBook so i need to be sure before i give it to her for a present. Thank you in advance!:apple:

2. Natsu macrumors member

I'm no expert but if u go to fortune town (IT center) or the istudio, u might get the answer. Living in thailand right?

3. zaney macrumors regular

It shouldnt matter, SATA hard drives are interchangeable. If you put a SATA II in a SATA I laptop, it should just run at the lower speed.

4. szsiddiq macrumors 6502

szsiddiq

zaney is right, as long as it's SATA, you're good to go

5. Cave Man macrumors 604

Cave Man

They are all SATAI (MB, MBP, iMac, Mini) at 1.5 gbps. Have a read here.

6. herman238 macrumors member

SATA II drives are fully backwards compatible

7. Rhosfelt macrumors 65816

Rhosfelt

(s)he might be looking for the best buy for their friend, so a SATA 120gb HD would be Here(newegg) or Here (tigerdirect)

A lot of people will quarrel over these two sites, I personally have had better luck with Newegg, however people will say just the opposite. So my advice is figure out exactly what you need/want and then find the better deal (most arguments about the two sites are over returns.)

8. krye macrumors 68000

krye

Any SATA drive is fine. I put a new 160G drive in my 1st gen MB without any problems. I got it from macsales.com