Macbook HDTV issues

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by jpaschall, Jan 31, 2011.

1. jpaschall macrumors newbie

I have a Macbook purchased new in December of 2009 - I believe the most current model. In an attempt to watch Netflix on my TV - Vizio 32" VA320E 720p, per the recommendation of a Best Buy employee, I purchased a mini DVI to DVI adaptor and a DVI to VGA cable. This setup seemed pretty straight forward, but after several failed attempts and reading help posts online in forums (this forum included) and even more failed attempts, I have run out of patience.

The input settings that I am supposed to use with this setup are listed as RGB in the TV's manual and when I follow all of the proper protocol/procedures: turn both the TV and macbook off. Hook all of the cables up, including the 1/8" audio cable. Turn TV on first then the computer. My computer detects my TV but the TV does not recognize ANY signal in ANY input mode from my computer. In RGB mode, it says there is no input source and the TV turns itself off.

The TV displays are 1368x720 and my computer operates on 1360x720. Could this be a source of my problem?

A side note - I attempted to connect my macbook to a projector system via this same setup in a classroom at the university that I attend and the projector setup never recognized my computer either. However, a Macbook pro nearby connected with no issues, and no manual changing of display settings.

Should I ditch this this cable setup and do DVI to HDMI? S-Video? I need help!

2. simsaladimbamba

If you have a 2009 white Unibody MacBook (which is not the latest MacBook, as one was released in 2010), then you have a Mini DisplayPort, therefore you need a MDP to DVI or better MDP to HDMI adapter.
    Mini DVI was used in the Mac mini and older, not Unibody white and black MacBooks and also the iMacs. But since 2008/2009, Apple has switched to MDP as video output.
    Maybe the below guide can help:
    How to: Connect a MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro to a TV

Btw, a MacBook has a native resolution of 1280 x 800, therefore I don't know how you came to your numbers.
    Also know, that when you input the adapter into the MacBook, the Mac will recognise that something has been put in, but not the actual TV yet.

3. TBi macrumors 68030

TBi

The Mini DVI to DVI adapter doesn't contain the analog VGA signal so it will never work. Same with DisplayPort to DVI.

You'll needed a mini-DVI to VGA adapter. Get your money back!

4. jpaschall thread starter macrumors newbie

correction

As it turns out my cable is MDP to DVI, I had thrown away the packaging and assumed the wrong thing. So I believe that I have the correct cable. As for the model, I do have the unibody released at the end of 2009 - sorry about that one too.

I realize the resolution is 1280x800. When I connected my TV, the computer recognized the TV and I was able to look at display preferences for the TV via the computer. 1360x720 was the closest option to the default TV resolution available. These display preferences actually have the label VA320E at the top of the window - which I made me believe that the computer had actually recognized the TV, is this not correct?

Even with all of this being as it is, will this cable combo just not work with my TV?