Macbook+HDTV Problem

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Copal1, Jan 5, 2009.

1. Copal1 macrumors newbie

I am having a problem when connecting my Macbook to my Toshiba HDTV. I am using a mini-dvi to dvi converter and attaching it to a six foot dvi to hdmi cable. The problems is that at random times the TV screen will go black and stay black for about two seconds. It then comes back on and all is fine. I can be watching movies or just leaving it on the desktop it does not seem to matter. Any help would be greatly appreciated, I am not sure if it is computer, TV, or cables causing this.
    Thanks.

2. ercanbas macrumors regular

Perhaps the black screen is caused by your power settings? Try turning off the 'dim' feature and see if that works.

3. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

The tv is losing sync with the tv, I have this happen with mine sometimes but with a dvd player, I should say not very often, once a month or so, not sure how to correct this. I Just know the tv has to do what they call a hand shake first, which you might have to boot the computer first then turn on the tv. Some Stereo receivers have this problem when converting video, like all your stuff runs through the receiver and it does the switching of inputs for the tv. Most people turn on there receiver first then the tv for the sync problem, they program there remote with macro ( delay of 15 to 20 seconds of tv coming on after the receiver comes on). Other then that I really don't have a answer for you, I myself use AppleTv, I convert my movies to get the Dolby Digital and not just stereo from the macbook. Just my 2 cents

4. Copal1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the help so far. I checked the dim setting and that is a non issue. Also I am not running it through a receiver just straight to the TV. And again it's totally random when it blinks to a solid black screen for a couple seconds. Frustrating...

5. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Welcome to the external display anonymous club. As an early adopter of the new mini displayport we're pretty much in for a bag of hurt until the kinks get worked out. Your issue is well known, there is no known solution at this time, but at least you're not the only one with the problem:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=1762674&tstart=0

6. greenday123 macrumors 6502

He can't be having an issue with the new MiniDisplayport, he doesn't even have one! In his signature it says "macbook core duo", thats one of the first macbooks, so he still has the old display connector.

7. Tinknock71 macrumors 6502

Tinknock71

If thats the case I have no idea what the problem is?:eek:

8. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

Woops! I blame Intel for the confusing name conventions. Core 2 Duo versus Core Duo versus Dual Core :) Can't help you out on the plastic ones, have no experience with those.