macbook headphone jack issue

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by abz786, Jun 8, 2008.

1. abz786 macrumors 6502

so here is the deal
    i plug my z5500 into the macbook with the green headphone jack
    play music

now the music plays for a while and then it cuts out or shorts out, and my subwoofer makes noises like it is cutting out or shortening out. makes even crackling noises

now when i connect the same headphone jack cable (green) to my iphone with the connector it doesn't make this noise.

Is this all to do with the macbook or what? and any suggestions because this is getting really annoying

2. abz786 thread starter macrumors 6502

3. p.luik macrumors regular

Look at your sound prefpane to see if it is playing through the headphone port the entire time.

4. logana macrumors 65816

logana

It may be a problem with the headphone jack on the MacBook. The jack is used for both analogue and digital connections - the digital jack is slightly longer than the analogue and this sometimes gives the sort of problems you are having.

It appears that if you look down the headphone jack you will see a light shining (which may or not be dangerous...) indicating that the digital jack is active.

Suggesting include (gently) sticking a blunt matchstick down the socket to unlatch the digital output. Has happened on a few machinse it appears but never to me so all I am saying is give it a try....but be careful.....please

5. abz786 thread starter macrumors 6502

how do i know that i have unlatched the digital output?