macbook heat & fan noise, worth going to apple store?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by simplydaniel, Mar 12, 2010.

1. simplydaniel macrumors newbie

I brought a black macbook in 2008, now everytime i use it for more than 15 mins, it begins to heat up quite a bit at the bottom, the CPU seems to reach temperatures to around 70 degrees and the fan seems to make a weird noise. is there anything i could do or is it worth asking the apple store, would they do anything considering i did not buy apple care. thanks for the help

2. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Have you taken a look at Activity Monitor (don't forget to select SHOW ALL PROCESSES) and sorted by CPU use to see what process might hog up the CPU, thus generate heat?

And do you mean 70°C, 70°F or 70K?

You can use this software to adjust fan speeds according to temperature, or this to adjust fan speeds yourself.

3. simplydaniel thread starter macrumors newbie

the CPU and airport card goes up to 70 degrees Celsius

4. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

Those are acceptable temperatures, look at ACTIVITY MONITOR to see what process might hog up your CPU.

5. sml238 macrumors regular

sml238

are you using firefox? if so id switch back to safari. download the new adobe flash 10.1 beta 3 (make sure you download the flash uninstaller to uninstall your current version first). flash hogs cpus on macs. so get clicktoflash, and the beta flash player and you should be good to go.

i also had a similar problem with my macbook. i was using firefox and the old flash and my temps were like 65C when they really shouldnt have been (just itunes, and firefox with some tabs having flash applications). now that iv done the above suggestions, and also use fan control, menumeters, and smc fan controller. my temps never get above like 55C and my fan stays 2k-3k, which you cant hear.