Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

megaduck

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
I'm planning on buying a MacBook, but the reports of heat issues are kind of scary. Reading through all the reports, though, I noticed something. A lot of the reports of extreme heat seem to be at Apple stores where the machines are plugged in all day. So, I've got a question for any MacBook owners out there.

Is there a difference in your laptop's temperature when it's plugged in or unplugged?

My thinking is that perhaps the excess heat generation has something to do with the charging process. Just a theory until I get my own to play with.:p

Mord

macrumors G4
Aug 24, 2003
UK
my ibook runs allot hotter off power, the fan wont come on when running off battery, but if it's on full load and on a soft surface it will.

Cybergypsy

macrumors 68040
May 16, 2006
Central Florida!
megaduck said:
I'm planning on buying a MacBook, but the reports of heat issues are kind of scary. Reading through all the reports, though, I noticed something. A lot of the reports of extreme heat seem to be at Apple stores where the machines are plugged in all day. So, I've got a question for any MacBook owners out there.

Is there a difference in your laptop's temperature when it's plugged in or unplugged?

My thinking is that perhaps the excess heat generation has something to do with the charging process. Just a theory until I get my own to play with.:p

not really running hot at all!:eek:

andym172

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2003
UK
I wouldn't have any concerns about heat.

I've been sat on my bed with my black MacBook on my lap for the last couple of hours. It's hot, but not hotter than any of my previous computers :)

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
my macbook gets REALLY hot much hotter than my Powerbook....i think it may go back tomorrow and i'll wait for a rev b or macbook pro rev b

dwsolberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2003
Hot

I spent about 30 minutes with a MacBook today running it through its paces: playing back sample of Alias from iTunes, viewing a large-size quicktime movie preview, playing a Garageband sample, and viewing photos in iPhoto -- all at the same time, of course. Even with 1 GB of RAM, this computer is fast.

Unfortunately, after all that it got hot, very hot. I felt the bottom and it was much faster than my 1.33 15" PowerBook. (Of course, it's also a lot faster.) When I closed the lid to check the heat on the bottom, I noticed that the machine would not wake from sleep. I don't know if this is because of the heat, but the other five machines woke perfectly from sleep, and I tried numerous times. If it wouldn't have been for this heat issue, I was going to purchase one.

On a side note, this new MacBook is the best notebook computer I've ever encountered. It's fast, it's sturdy, its screen is brilliant, the isight is very good, the magnetic latch works great, the keys feel good and don't touch the screen, the wireless reception is reported to be amazing, the hard drive is easily replaceable. I'm gushing, but I really am stunned at how great this laptop is.

Now I just need to wait until the heat issue is resolved.

smith156

macrumors newbie
Apr 28, 2009
Heat Problem

I too have just bought the new Macbook (and besides my iPhone, it is the first apple product I have bought.) Anyway, sometimes the new macs do get hot but, for 20 bucks you can get an air-flow thing that plugs into the usb and it fans away the hot air very efficiently. A cheaper solution is since the new mac is aluminum, it looses its heat rather quickly (compared to other metals) so just pick it up and move your hands across the hot spots for a bit and it will cool a little.

Justin.

Roy Hobbs

macrumors 68000
Apr 29, 2005
I too have just bought the new Macbook (and besides my iPhone, it is the first apple product I have bought.) Anyway, sometimes the new macs do get hot but, for 20 bucks you can get an air-flow thing that plugs into the usb and it fans away the hot air very efficiently. A cheaper solution is since the new mac is aluminum, it looses its heat rather quickly (compared to other metals) so just pick it up and move your hands across the hot spots for a bit and it will cool a little.

Justin.

Do you realize you responded to a post from almost 3 years ago??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.