macbook heats up too fast.... clean inside?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by superspud, Apr 17, 2012.

1. superspud macrumors regular

I have a mid 2007 macbook which for the most part still serves me very well.

however, as of late it has been heating up WAY too fast.

If i watch a video on youtube, try doing any sort of multi tasking or anything that really shouldn't task the computer too much, the temp spikes to 180+ and the fans run full blast within seconds.

I understand under longer heavy loads the computer will heat up but I'm talking literally within seconds of doing things it gets way too hot.

what are some solutions to this? I am thinking that over the last 5 years, it has probably collected some dust on the inside.... is this a common thing? I've seen several videos on how to take it apart to get inside so thats what I'm probably going to do but I just wanted to see if this was a common thing that others have dealt with.

thanks!

2. simsaladimbamba

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

180F/82C is not abnormal if you're watching videos or doing other CPU/GPU intensive tasks. If your fans are spinning up without increased heat, try resetting the SMC.

4. hawkxcore macrumors newbie

180F is considered normal?? Damn... I always try to keep my desktop below 110F.

5. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

The Intel processors used in Macs are designed to automatically shut down to prevent damage if they truly overheat. CPU Tjmax = 105C, GPU Tjmax = 100C on i3, i5, i7 processors. (Source: Intel)

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

188F is normal for Macbooks when doing CPU intensive things. They can take the heat and are designed to. They can even take temperatures up to 200F or 210F.

I've noticed that my mid-07 Blackbook doesn't get dirty or dusty inside. And this is in a dusty place with a cat walking around.

GGJ, you spelled my name wrong in the source link. :D

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I thought that was your nickname! :D

8. BL4zD macrumors 6502

I would recommend against taking the macbook apart to clean it. I've done that several times with various macbook models (ranging from 2006-2009) and have never encountered a significant dust issue.

I now only own a white unibody and it heats up at times I feel are odd/inappropriate. I can say that youtube would be one culprit because you may be watching flash and flash content seems to tax macs (actually all platforms to different extents) in my experience.

but if you are compelled to try and clean your macbook start with spraying air through the keyboard to push any dust out the vents.