Macbook heavier after top case replacement

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by cerhard, Aug 8, 2009.

1. cerhard macrumors member

I just had my top case replaced because of a hairline crack. Now that I have it back my MB feels a lot heavier than before. Anyone else notice this?

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

Oh, you got the lead-lined one...

Which MacBook? Black, White, unibody?

3. cerhard thread starter macrumors member

4. Legolai macrumors member

did you have applecare? because my early 2008 whitebook has started cracking (again) but its now out of warranty :(

5. cerhard thread starter macrumors member

Yeah I have apple care but they didn't really ask about it. So I dunno. I have heard stories on here of people getting them replaced for free without apple care. If you live near an apple store you might as well just go in and try it.

6. Legolai macrumors member

yeah thats the problem, i live an hour and half away from the nearest apple store, and i have to get the train, and i have college coming up in 3 weeks which ill really need my computer for, so they cant have it too long..

7. cerhard thread starter macrumors member

yeah thats a tough call. mine took like a day but i guess it just all depends on how busy they are. you could always call apple care and ask them about it.

8. Silvia96 macrumors member

Not sure why it felt heavier after you got it back...I just took mine in to get the top case replaced. Its an 06, 1.83 core duo. Never had applecare, warranty expired years ago, the genius said they will replace all defective top-cases once, even if you're out of warranty. Just FYI, they WILL fix it for free if you've never had them replace it before.

9. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

how about the palm rest crack will they fix that too?
    07 macbook 2.16GHZ

10. Legolai macrumors member

yeah thats the top case, Thing is my whole case was replaced in October - under warranty, well everything except the bezel that goes round the screen, And thats the bit thats now coming apart. Also the bottom enclosure is also cracking again, near the fan vents and at the front near the ridge to open it.

11. MarkCooz macrumors 6502a

So i just set up an appointment with an apple genius and even if i don't have warranty I can still replace the 'top case' or so called palm rest?? for free?!?!?

12. Dusky macrumors newbie

I just had mine replaced for the first time. My appointment was at 10:15 a.m. The part was in stock. I was called at around 4:00 p.m. and was told the laptop was ready. Free of charge.

My laptop is an out-of-warranty Black MacBook 2.2 GHz (late 2007). I'll be taking-in my spouse's laptop on Friday 'cause it's got the same issue.

I'm wondering if steps have been taken to make sure the material is not as delicate as the original part. I'm mortified it'll break again and it won't be replaced.