Macbook help! (Hope this is in the right place)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Fatboy 589, Jun 7, 2012.

1. Fatboy 589 macrumors newbie

Hi guys! I'm new to the forum, so I hope this isn't in the wrong place.
    So recently, beer got spilled on my Macbook Pro 13.3inch. I quickly turned the mac upside down to let air flow through it and hopefully have the beer leak out of the computer, saving it. Now, the computer won't turn on. But the battery charges, the little white LED light comes on, and when I charged the battery fully (the light turned from orange to green) and tried to turn it on, it was so pathetically making whirring noises and then a click. It would whirr again, then click. Is this fixable or am I just better off getting a new macbook? Thanks!

2. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

You're not the only one here haha
    Recently some one spilled wine and milk.

But seems like a dead logic board and HDD.
    When you spill things, you power it off and put it into a bag of rice.
    The rice keeps the moist out of the Mac.

But since it already failed to turn on, its probably a dead logic board.
    Since Apple dont cover accidental warranty, you have to pay nearly 900USD to get the logic board replaced.

3. trikky macrumors regular

:eek::eek: I can't bloody believe it! You wasted the beer :eek::eek:

4. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

Hopefully Apple will understand (if it's a new laptop). If not, it doesn't hurt to go to iFixit and disassemble your laptop. Beer should leave a residue on what it touches, so you may get lucky and just need to replace a ribbon cable or wipe down a connector. Nothing to lose, right?

This link should be good for your laptop... If your computer is aluminum and 13", this guide will work for it.

Best of luck.

5. Fatboy 589, Jun 8, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 8, 2012

Fatboy 589 thread starter macrumors newbie

It wasn't good beer anyway :/

Thanks for the replies, guys. I'll definitely open her up and see what I can do. But I'll definitely just start saving for a new one. I've found some used ones on Craigslist for $550-$800. Not too shabby, especially since my mom got her last two mac books on there. Thanks so much, guys!

After looking at the link you posted, w00t, it was my harddrive that was making the whirr and click noise... brand new harddrive, too. My old one died and Apple replaced it with a new one, then my warranty ran out.