Macbook Help Needed- BeachBall!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by IconicIdentity, Jun 19, 2008.

1. IconicIdentity macrumors member

Ok, Even though just registered today I've been following mac rumors for over 3 years....and now I have my first problem.

I have a Macbook Rev A Core duo/ 2 gb ram/ 80gb HDD

Leopard 10.5.3 installed

Anyway, it has become increasingly slow lately, but mostly the problem lies when I try to change my desktop background.
    I click on the system pref pane and the screensavers tab is highlighted by default. I click on the Desktop Backgrounds tab and I get the spinning beach ball every single time. I've obviously restarted my computer and done the normal protocols....I dont know what to do from here

2. DaBrain macrumors 65816

DaBrain

You should not Bump to get attention. Tell more about your issue and system. Like how much memory do you have, how many apps open at once, how much HD space is left?

The more specific you are the better chance someone may be able to help ya out! ;)

3. IconicIdentity thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, but it shouldn't matter how much HD space I have. I get the spinning beach ball every single time I try and change my desktop background

4. zox macrumors newbie

just an idea:

do you have any ultra-high-res images in your /pictures/ folder?

I once had a similar problem with trillian on windows with some 80mb animated gif I got from NASA. I tried to set it as my aim avatar just to watch trillian trying to cope with it, and whenever I would open the "change avatar" dialog aferwards it would freeze because of the huge image it was trying to load.

maybe you have a similar problem when the wallpaper-dialog is scanning your /pictures/ (allthough I would assume mac os would handle the situation much better than win did in my example ;P)

or maybe its searching for some network places that aren't available anymore...

5. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Yep. Beachballing problems with the wallpaper. I have about a gig of pictures in there and when I removed 'em all, ran like butter.