Macbook Help Please Duaghter is in tears :(

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Bryan Pritchard, Dec 20, 2008.

1. Bryan Pritchard macrumors newbie

My daughter last week in tears brought me Macbook only 96 days out of warranty.

Got the flashing file with question mark took my MACBOOK 2.16 13" to Apple they said hard drive.

I replaced the hard drive with a 7200rpm 320GB Sata Drive Seagate from Best buy and I inserted DISC 1 and nothing. I can hear the drive spinning but it will not boot up form the disc. I even held "C" and nothing.
    I have noticed the disc is a little hard to insert in the optical drive and seems a bit strained to eject as well.
    Do I need a new optical drive? If so where is the best place to get these?

Also when my daughter was trying to get the protective optional case off she pressed down on the upper case over the optical drive and made an indention but I believe I straightened it out as their is no visible evidence that it was pushed in. The plastic case around the edge of the drive slot was bulged a bit but no longer.

Thanks in advance

Bryan Pritchard
    Acworth, Ga

2. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Sounds like you had more than one problem originally.
    Was the MB dropped or damaged to cause both the HD and the Optical to go out?

You are close enough to probably 3 Apple Stores to have one of them check it out without replacing the part. I would make an appointment with the Genius and take it in again.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

3. Bryan Pritchard thread starter macrumors newbie

I took it to them and he tried to boot form an external drive and nothing as well
    My daughter said she didnt drop it but you never know :)
    The upper case was pushing down on the drive would this make the CD hard to in? Its easier now

The Genous Bar at Lennox the guy said I could take it to ONYX they were cheaper on repair and better equipted as well
    I have the thing torn apart now trying to see what the issue is.

4. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Yes, warping on the case can make a CD hard to insert
    But if the Genius could not boot from an external HD... what did he recommend??

Sounds like you have serious issues... HD, Optical and more
    I am no expert, but the Genius should have given you some kind of guidance

Which store did you go to?
    I always go to Lenox

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

5. Bryan Pritchard thread starter macrumors newbie

I took it to Lennox and they guy said a Hard Drive?? but he noticed the indention over the optical drive and told me to remove the upper case and try to straighten it out which I did. I havent tried a new hard drive since doing that. I thought I may run to Best Buy and get another one and If it doesnt work just return it

6. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Interesting, you may want to try the Apple Store at Perimeter then... just to get another opinion.

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

7. Bryan Pritchard thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah I will they were crowded since Its Christmas....Ill wait till after Christmas or take it to Onyx in Atlanta

Hey GO DAWGS!!! Took my 14 Year old daughter who belongs to this computer to Tempe Az to see UGA play ASU September 20th! it was fun
    Bryan

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

First of all, quit worry about the hard drive for the moment. You need to get the Software Restore DVD to boot first.

Try inserting the Software Restore DVD, and holding down "option" instead of "C". Does it list your Software Restore DVD?

If so, select it and let it boot. Then post back.

9. Bryan Pritchard thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I tried that as well :(

I do have a question again?

Will a BAD HD make it where I can boot from the Disc?

10. ebika macrumors 6502

Independent of whether your HD is bad or not, you should always be able to boot to the OS X DVD. If that isn't working, it sounds like you have a problem with the optical drive or the logic board.

11. Bryan Pritchard thread starter macrumors newbie

Any sure test to see If it is the Logic Board?

Also what would cause the Logic Board to go out? I mean 3 months after the warranty. I guess since I didnt buy the Apple Care extended warranty apple sent me magic destroy order? LOL I mean my girl takes care of this like a Baby and it still looks NIB. I am frustrated at this point to say the least and she is upset and Dad just cant fix it :(

When the Genius? guy hooked an external drive he left if on for like 10 minutes and nothing.

Also one more thing when I took the lid off a small white plastic looking clip was loose in the computer any one know what this is and where it goves? Has half a circle and a flat side

12. ebika macrumors 6502

Well, if it won't boot to your internal HD, won't boot to your DVD and won't boot to an external drive, I would wager that the problem is the logic board. A bad HD and a bad optical drive would explain the first two, but not the failure to boot from an external drive.

Logic boards can go bad from a drop, from static discharge while the case was open and from heat.

13. Bryan Pritchard thread starter macrumors newbie

So if its the Logic Board scrap it for parts on Ebay? or worth repairing?
    How much are those anyway and Im sure I can replace it instructions maybe on IFIXIT.com?

14. 7031 macrumors 6502

Just sell it on ebay. Getting a new logic board would probably cost more than buying a new one.

Sounds like it was dropped.

15. ebika macrumors 6502

I'll leave it to someone else for prices (not sure), and worth is in the eye of the beholder. I could argue either way on the worth point... since the case and display are fine and you have a new drive, the logic board is just one component to replace. It will be cheaper than buying a new macbook.

I should emphasize that you really need to bring it to a repair center (Apple or otherwise) to have proper diagnostics done on the computer.

16. Bryan Pritchard thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Guys well My daughter has always been honest so I have to go with her on this one she said she didnt drop it and their are no physical signs she did. I will at this point put it back together and take it to ONYX in Atlanta for final evaluation before I deside what do with it. I hate to say this is my last Apple but I have had countless PC Laptops and dropped them as well and never had this happen

LSo I guess trying a new HD wont be of much use then If the Cd is not seeing the operating Disk 1?

17. hogfaninga macrumors 65816

hogfaninga

Sounds like a drop to me. My friend dropped his and the same thing happened. It is probably the logic board. I guess the daughter gets a new laptop.

18. ebika macrumors 6502

Well, try exhausting your booting options with more external devices. However, yes, if you can't boot from a DVD, you can't reinstall onto a new hard drive.

It's possible your old drive went bad and you shocked it with static when you opened it up. Static can fry electronics if you're not careful. Again, just guesses, don't go with the worst case until you eliminate the other options.

19. Bryan Pritchard thread starter macrumors newbie

I used proper care when I opened it up and made sure I was grounded etc.
    No my daughter doesnt get a new laptop!!! Not now atleast until I try to fix this one.
    Does Best Buy etc have external devices?

20. ebika macrumors 6502

Best Buy and many others have external devices.

21. Bryan Pritchard thread starter macrumors newbie

I would have to install the ooperating system on the External HD correct? But you know the guy at the Genius Bar did that an nothing. Ill take it to ONYX who Apple at Lennox in Atlanta recomended me to before I dump it..I appreciate all the help Guys

Hey guys one last question before I put this back together I turned the computer over upside down ad a plastic clip or something fell out of it.
    Has a flat side and a curve on it hard to explain any idea????

22. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Sorry to hear that you no longer have anymore trust in the durability of Apple's products. You're in your right to feel that way.

OT, you said that your daughter has ALWAYS been honest? I don't know how old she is but there's an old saying for naive parents;

"Do you know how to tell when a teenager is lying"? When their mouths are moving. ;)

23. Bryan Pritchard thread starter macrumors newbie

Not that I feel that way really just frustrated. I hear ya on teenagers lying but trust me on this one my 14 year old no my 18 year old yes :)

24. anish3232 macrumors member

Did you try holding down OPTION when turning your computer on? That is the only way the disc will show up so you can boot form the disc.

25. petermcphee macrumors 6502a

petermcphee