macbook help please

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by snakes123, Jan 4, 2012.

1. snakes123 macrumors newbie

Heyy,

I have a 3 year old macbook. I have been using it for school, but it obveously gets screen cracks as i cary it to school everyday. But this time it cracked it was the whole screen so i cant use it.

So i went out and got one of the cables to connect it to a screen. It was working great for 3 days, then i noticed my mac not charging properly. I left it on charge for ages, and now its fully charged, but the only problem is it isnt working properly. It goes straight from being turned off, to the desktop picture, the one of the stars that apple use. But the problem is all i can see is that picture, nothing like icond or the stuff thats on the desktop.

So problems:

* skipping log in
    * nothing i can do.

Thanks

Ben

2. kaydot macrumors regular

Hi,

This sounds like it might be in extended desktop mode instead of mirror mode. "Extended desktop" means that the login screen is probably appearing on the non-functional broken LCD. In Mirror mode, the external monitor and the laptop's LCD would show the same thing.

Try various combinations of the following:
    * unplugging the external monitor and plugging it back in.
    * verifying the connection of the external adapter (e.g. my cheap one from monoprice requires it to be in a perfect position to work)
    * trying various combinations of the "Fn" key and f1, f2 etc. to cycle through the various display modes (mirror, extended, external only)

3. minifridge1138 macrumors 6502a

That sounds right to me.