Macbook Help

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by brightongem, Nov 9, 2008.

1. brightongem macrumors newbie

brightongem

Hi

I've had my macbook for about 18 months and it is still as good as it was when i first got it, apart from i have to have it connected to the mains all the time otherwise after about 30 mins the macbook turns itself off.

Does anyone know why this is? Would i need a new battery or would it be a big fault?

Please help as i know nothing about the technical side too Macs :eek:

Thanks

2. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Does this happen while you're working or when idle?

Does the battery meter coincide with the 30 min. power drain?

Did you perform the Battery Update 1.2? This update was also accompanied by a worldwide program that included a possible battery replacement. Click the link provided to begin this process if you haven't done so already.

Best wishes -GDF

3. brightongem thread starter macrumors newbie

brightongem

It happens when I'm working on it... the battery level still shows 3 lights...

I've just updated the battery update you've sent as i didn't know about that so hopefully that might work.

Would you suggest i take it into an apple store?

4. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

If the update has no effect, that would be the next step to resolve your issue. It helps to make an appointment prior to arrival.

5. brightongem thread starter macrumors newbie

brightongem

Well from what i've read on apple site, macbooks around the age of mine start rejecting the batteries and the only way round it is to buy a new one for £100.... its a bit steep but its a must i think

6. GfulDedFan macrumors 65816

GfulDedFan

Just to let you know, I had my battery replaced by utilizing this program about a year and a half ago and I get 3.5 to 4 hours of battery life. Also, my daughter has a PowerBook that was 3 years old that acted like yours and upon investigation, Apple had a similar battery program in place. Her battery was replaced free of charge and now she enjoys full battery health to finish her undergraduate studies.

Don't give up on this. It will be worth it in the end.