Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ericksgotmac

macrumors regular
Original poster
Nov 22, 2008
I gave my brother my old Macbook (Black 2.16GHz) after I bought my new Macbook Pro. Now that Macbook is pretty beat up from having it a little over a year. So for Christmas I want to help fix it up, he's only 11 and doesn't use his laptop for much so a large HD or more ram isn't required. Is there any place I can buy a complete compatible Macbook shell for under $200? (black or white). If not I found a Macbook on eBay but the logicboard's cpu is 1.86GHz I'm not enterily sure if I can simply replace the board? Any help would be appriciated.

P.S.
The Macbook with the 1.86GHz had a deaed logic board

iBecks

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
I gave my brother my old Macbook (Black 2.16GHz) after I bought my new Macbook Pro. Now that Macbook is pretty beat up from having it a little over a year. So for Christmas I want to help fix it up, he's only 11 and doesn't use his laptop for much so a large HD or more ram isn't required. Is there any place I can buy a complete compatible Macbook shell for under $200? (black or white). If not I found a Macbook on eBay but the logicboard's cpu is 1.86GHz I'm not enterily sure if I can simply replace the board? Any help would be appriciated.

P.S.
The Macbook with the 1.86GHz had a deaed logic board

Why not buy him a speck shell for it rather than the full casing.

http://www.speckproducts.com/products/by_device?device_id=10

Much easier.

techound1

macrumors 68000
Mar 3, 2006
Why not buy him a speck shell for it rather than the full casing.

Much easier.

I'm guessing the current ones are beat to snot and putting a translucent case over them won't get rid of it.

The frame-to-case attachments changed over the iterations of the macbook, so you'll need to get a model match. You should be able to find just the case parts on ebay.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.