Macbook help!!!!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by kgardin, Mar 31, 2009.

1. kgardin macrumors newbie

hello i just joined this forum today to ask about how to fix my laptop issues
    !!!
    my screen cracked, howecer, it was under the surface and is not visible on the surface. the only evidence that my LCD screen has cracked is that my screen is white and strips of many other different colors. I bought the applecare plan and since my problem is not a crack in teh screen, I am wondering if teh applecare plan will cover my problem!!

PLS HELP ME!!! MY PARENTS ARE REALLY MAD AT ME AND THINK THEY WILL HAVE TO PAY!
    THANKS!:(

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    They probably will. Sorry.

3. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Nope, you did it, you pay for it.

Sorry bud.

Edit: Guess your parents will have to pay for it, "lucky" you I suppose.

4. iTzChasE macrumors 6502

iTzChasE

I dont think teh apple will fix teh problem.

be more careful with teh stuff you gots. k

5. smurfjammer macrumors 6502a

smurfjammer

Sorry, you have to pay... Applecare doesn't cover accidental damage but your parents home insurance might.

6. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

probability is that home insurance would cover it but would it be worth bumping the premium. price up how much it costs to just buy a new one, ebay or summit.

7. joeybagadonutz macrumors member

Unibody or previous generation? If previous generation, you can get relatively inexpensive replacement including labor from iResq ($199 plus shipping). If unibody...it's time to find some side work or an external LCD. However, I just noticed your location. Check to see if anyone does authorized repairs in your area that will not void your Applecare. Also, check to see if the credit card used has an insurance rider. Good luck.

8. Harmush macrumors 6502a

Harmush

i dread the idea of breaking my unibody screen. the dent on the credit card would be........... owch

9. kgardin thread starter macrumors newbie

Re:Macbook help!!!

The crack is under the screen and i did not drop the laptop previously before this happened. Do you think this story will help convince apple to pay for the damade. by the way, it is a previous generation.

10. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

eh take it in and see what they say. I would just act stupid haha, I mean you already know the worse, so why not try.

11. kgardin thread starter macrumors newbie

do you think going intto the store is better or actually calling them?

12. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

No. Screens don't spontaneously crack.

13. Nocturnal22 macrumors 6502

There not gonna repair it for free at all Your applecare is pretty much useless now... And screens dont crack by themselves something happened there. Its probally gonna cost 800 dollors you gotta ask apple to be sure. Your better off selling it for parts and getting a new macbook.

14. MacGeek767 macrumors member

MacGeek767

agreed. it's worth just getting a new UniBody for $1299 then fixing the screen for $800. you get a computer that'll last longer too and it'll be worth it in the long run.

15. raremage macrumors 6502a

I wonder how that explanation would go...

"So, there I was, like running a Keynote presentation on my MacBook, pitching my new product to my new client. And oh yeah, I was like using the Apple remote, see, so I wasn't even like touching it. In fact, it was sitting on a table across the room, and noone was even near it. And it wasn't plugged in or anything, so like there was no weird connection or anything that anybody could like trip over or anything. And like, suddenly, I clicked the Apple remote to advance to the next slide, and WHAM this wicked crack suddenly runs up the side of the screen! And I was like WTF man! I'm trying to sell something here!"

16. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

i don't think you actually cracked your screen. it sounds like your video card over heated and is fried, which apple care will certainly cover.

take pics and post them

17. NewMacbookPlz macrumors 68040

NewMacbookPlz

Now that you mention that, and I re-read the OP, it does sound like the gfx card overheating issues....nice catch!

18. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

At this point since you don't know what the problem is, rather than calling AppleCare and sending it out with the chance that they might not even repair it depending on the problem, you're better off having the Genius Bar take a look at it right in front of you. Better to deal with the situation in front of someone rather than having someone look at it when you're not even in the room.

19. aznguyen316 macrumors 68020

aznguyen316

20. castfno macrumors newbie

Actually, iresq is an apple authorized repairer. If you send it to them and it's covered under the warranty, they can fix it for free. If it's not covered, it's a pretty cheap fix.

21. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I saw the mention for an LCD service that costs $200

After you add in shipping it'll be close to $220.

I get my LCDs from here. Buy one and if you're not too squeamish you can fix the problem for under eighty bucks. I don't know if you still have the laptop in question. I am guessing from the tone of your posts, you are looking to save money. This would be a good way to do that!

Apple uses Samsung, LG, and AU Optronics LCDs in this model macbook. They'll ship you a Samsung model, the LP133WX1(TL)(A1) is just stated for purposes of determining compatibility.

Expedited shipping is very cheap. For me, it costs the same as regular. I'm not sure if that's because I order a boatload at a time.

22. mousouchop macrumors 6502a

mousouchop

Yeah, seeing as you say there is not a visible crack, and you have done nothing to crack it-- I think you have unwittingly misdiagnosed your problem here... haha. I'd say take the advice above and take it into the Apple store before you attempt to do anything to the system yourself. Sounds like you should be in line for an easy repair. But, the worst case scenario has already been laid out for you, so no surprises either way.

Best of luck to you, I hope it all gets sorted out for you and you avoid the wrath of your parents. hehe. :)

23. l.a.rossmann macrumors 65816

l.a.rossmann

I had one case 3 weeks ago where there was a 3" bar of distorted white stuff on the screen, horizontally. If I rebooted, it'd move from the top to the bottom, and sometimes to the middle, while it was on.

The Apple store told the gentleman it was the video. On this model, the video card does not come off, it is part of the logic board.

I wasn't aware of this until he came to my studio and I was halfway through taking his LCD out. If I was I would have thought the same thing, and maybe even not scheduled the job. Seeing as he was already there, and I had the thing half opened already, I figured I might as well try a new LCD. The new LCD fixed it, I really was not expecting this.

The LCD does not have to be cracked to be defective. Something on the PCB can be bad. With how the PCB is made, and how cheap a new LCD is, I'd just replace the whole thing.

If I were you, I would hope it is the LCD, because the LCD is cheap. The LCD can be had in quantity for under $60, and in single quantities for $80. The logic board as a whole costs many hundreds more.