Macbook Helpp!! (Erase before sale)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peterjeter26, Feb 2, 2008.

1. peterjeter26 macrumors member

i need help im selling my macbook to a friend do u no anyway that i can erase the stuff on the HD so that he can set it up by himself.

2. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

Put the Install Disk in that came with the Macbook, and in 'Options' choose to Erase&Install :)

3. Jaffa Cake macrumors Core

Jaffa Cake

You could use the install disks that came with your Mac to completely erase the hard drive and install a fresh OS on there – he can then make his own user account once he gets his hands on the computer.

4. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

I would boot off of the install disk and open disk utility in the menu bar to format the hard drive, if you are really paranoid you can re-zero the drive and if you are extremely paranoid use some third party partitioning program for a defense department grade 11 pass random wipe. Then I would give your friend the Mac and the install DVD so that your friend can customize the install to suit their needs.

No need to waste space installing all languages, X11, printer drivers and developers tools if they will not be used.

5. peterjeter26 thread starter macrumors member

6. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Your friend is going to need the disk. Contact Apple and see if you can order a replacement.