MacBook hinge is catching, loud "crack" when opening

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by DS28, Aug 5, 2008.

1. DS28 macrumors newbie

Hey all-

I just got a new MacBook about 3 weeks ago. I've noticed that when I open the closed MacBook, the right outermost edge of the top and bottom case grinds together before snapping and opening freely (at the hinge, about 1cm right of the power button). It's as if the right side is too tight by a few mm, as it doesn't happen on the left side. Indeed, when I look at the closed MacBook, the right side closes more "tightly" than the left by a few mm.

The framing around the screen in that spot already feels a little loose, and I'm worried that repeated -pressure, grind, crack- sequence is going to eventually damage the case.

If I can loosen a screw or two to fix this, that would be great. But I may also bring it to the Genius Bar; I'm afraid if I don't do it now, down the road they'll tell me it's user damage.

I Googled a little and couldn't find anything similar (only squeeky hinge complaints) so I figured I'd see if anyone here can chime in.

Thanks!!!

2. logana macrumors 65816

logana

I have a 6 month old MacBook that gives a loud crack when you open the lid - like the magnets are really strong. Maybe it is a new "feature" ?

Never heard it on any other MacBook - so not sure if this helps.......

3. DS28 thread starter macrumors newbie

unfortunately it's definitely not the magnets, more like a hinge alignment/pressure issue. Check the rear of the MacBook either at the power button or the magsafe port... see if it rubs when it opens. That's what mine does.

My old white MacBook didn't have any physical contact between the lid and body when it opened, which is what leads me to believe this is a problem.

4. crazzyeddie macrumors 68030

crazzyeddie

It will eventually break. Contact AppleCare and get it replaced ASAP.

5. Pixellated macrumors 65816

+1- My BlackBook developed a big crack after it did that. But AppleCare replaced it.

6. DS28 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks all.

The wait for an appt here is 2 days so I'm just going to try to leave it open for now.

I'm hoping they'll replace the case or swap out the laptop ASAP.

In your cases, which did they do? Just wondering how long I might be without a laptop and what I need to backup.

7. mixmacface macrumors regular

mixmacface

my new macbook also creaks a little bit upon opening. . i thought something had broken a few hours ago when i picked it up, but turns out it was just hitting a zipper on the pillow beside it. freaked me out. but right now, i guess it's not enough to worry about. . is it?

8. logana macrumors 65816

logana

In that case is it not the bezel round the screen (bottom right hand corner of the screen) that is not sitting flush - there are clips and glue and it may just require the clips pushing back in........