Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LawGirl

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 15, 2006
Hi, all. I'm hoping that other users familiar with this issue can offer some support.

My problem with my brand-new (three day old) MacBook is not a "creaky" hinge (a problem already posted at https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/218152/); rather, when the computer has time to warm up, the hinge makes a one-time "CLICK" upon opening the lid (the sound comes from the right corner). This is really annoying me, and I'm worried that the repeated click (which signals something rubbing against something else) will wear down the joints and ruin my computer prematurely.

[Side note: The click is especially loud and offensive when the MacBook is warmed up after half an hour or so; when it's cold and shut down, the click is much quieter. This makes me think that the plastic parts are swelling and expanding a little when the computer is power on. I'm not too comfortable with the idea of the joints wearing down due to normal use. I want this computer to last me 3 years at least!]

I'm thinking of taking it to an Apple Store to have a techie look at it, but what if he doesn't know the problem? Do you think it's an issue that could be solved by loosening the screw (one screw on the afflicted right side where the noise comes from seems to be recessed farther in than the screws on the left side).

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Neurotically,
LawGirl

madmaxmedia

macrumors 68030
Dec 17, 2003
Los Angeles, CA
Since your computer is brand new, I would probably recommend against futzing around with the screws. Take it to the Apple store and have them look at it. At the least I guess they will type it into their system. It could really be nothing, but it could also be some small defect that could lead to later problems (say a video cable that gradually gets frayed, a stressed hinge, etc.)

If they don't do anything about it then, I would just carefully monitor it. You have a lot of warranty period left, so if it gets worse (or breaks) over time then you should be able to take it back in and get it serviced.

I do think it's important that you discuss at length with the store though. It would suck if the hinge failed later, then you brought it to the store and they concluded that you had damaged the hinge yourself. I'm thinking that if they type a full report now, if you bring it in later they can pull that up and see that you had issues before that were clearly not your fault.

Jackmiles2006

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2008
This Happened to me

This was an issue for me from day 1 my MacBook Is 3 weeks old.
I am going to call apple about it now that i know its a problem with more than one person

Megatron

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2005
I have this exact same click coming from the right side when I open the lid on my MBP.

Anyone have any updates on the cause of this?

Jackmiles2006

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2008
They Fixed it

I Called apple and they overnighted me a box to put it in for free, and then overnighted it to Memphis for repairs, and overnighted it back. Had It Back within 3 days. for free.

teerexx52

macrumors 68020
May 1, 2005
Florida West Coast
I Called apple and they overnighted me a box to put it in for free, and then overnighted it to Memphis for repairs, and overnighted it back. Had It Back within 3 days. for free.

I may call them as well. I just got a previous generation 17" and it does it but not all the time. So weird. Would it be better to take it to the Genius Bar at the apple store??

benlee

macrumors 65816
Mar 4, 2007
THis happens on my MBP when I close the lid. Usually get 2-3 short clicks on the right side. It has been happening for over 6 months now and I thought about bringing it in but didn't notice any causes or damages otherwise so I learned to deal with the clicks. However, I'm a student and cannot afford to go without my computer for any amount of time.

If it is brand new and you are not happy then bring it to the store or call AppleCare.

Good luck.

Megatron

macrumors regular
Nov 19, 2005
I have this exact same click coming from the right side when I open the lid on my MBP.

Anyone have any updates on the cause of this?

Just for an update, I scheduled an appointment at the genius bar and took it in to the apple store.

I explained what was happening and the genius first picked up the mbp and gave it a very careful look all around and felt along all the edges, explaining that he was just checking to make sure that it hadn't been dropped.

Then when he opened it of course it didn't make the noise, but then he moved the lid of the mbp that they use at the genius bar back and forth and it made the same noise. He explained that the hinge is a spring locking mechanism or something along those lines and it does make those clicking noises, and that basically my laptop was perfectly fine.

Does that sound about right?

jamesraward

macrumors regular
May 18, 2009
Does that sound about right?

no, not really...

mine's only just started doing it, if it was the locking mechanism he speaks of, then shouldn't they all do it all the time?

And what spring locking system is he talking about? The new laptops all stay shut using magnets, the old ones had a hook...

TheShinyMac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 3, 2009
Get over it

Attachments

• wd-40-br69235874.jpg
    wd-40-br69235874.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 418

jamesraward

macrumors regular
May 18, 2009
Get over it
Ok, when I next spend £1,200 on something I'll be sure to make sure there are things wrong with it to aid me in my ability to 'get over' things.

C'mon, it's not much to ask is it?

Sorry sorry sorry, I'm in a bad mood, and didn't mean to bait/flame/troll.

I still want a smooth lid back though. :(

adamfishercox

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2007
If you want it repaired, definitely call, not Genius Bar. If you can't reproduce it at the genius bar, you're out of luck, but you can tell the people on the phone that it's constant.

jpma

macrumors 6502
May 31, 2009
I always think the hinge is the worst part of the unibody macbook pro.
bad quality and made of plastic different from other components

Snowcake

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
Macbook air 2010 13.3"

When i move the screen back, as far as possible, i hear a click coming from i ''think'' the right side. The strange thing is that it not click always.

It is not normal, a creak/click?

Do you people have the same thing?
How do this new hinge thing work anyway?

askabob91

macrumors member
Sep 21, 2008
I talked to a Genius today and he said that one of the three screws that hold the hinge in place was probably loose. He said they could fix it easily as they simply had to open the laptop up and tighten the screw.

I didn't give my Macbook (2008 white) to him because he said it would take a day or two (I am leaving town tomorrow) but I will get it fixed within the next few weeks.

askabob

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.