Macbook hinge

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Fireball Dragon, May 20, 2015.

1. Fireball Dragon macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

So I finally got my new Macbook yesterday. The size is simply awesome! My 13" rMBP looks retro in comparison.

Okay, so the hinge on the new Macbook. it seems to me much less stiff than the rMBP. It doesn't seem to be loose, but in comparison to the rMBP, is much easier to move and has more wobble to it. Is this normal with you guys?

2. crucius macrumors regular

Mine is pretty much the same compared to previous versions.

3. JonnyIreland macrumors 6502a

JonnyIreland

I am just beginning to notice that my hinge mechanism has quite low resistance too, I was using it last night and it definitely feels like it has more movement than when I first unboxed it (I can't have used it more than 12-15 hours so far).

4. JTToft macrumors 68040

I don't know about decreasing resistance over time, but the hinge is looser because the base of the rMB is lighter than the one on the rMBP and others. For the machine to open without the user having to hold the base in place, the hinge has to be looser than on previous machines.

5. polee macrumors 6502a

polee

Mine is also not very tight compared to the hinge of my Macbook 11.

6. TheSteves macrumors member

My hinge is fine. Let them adjust it in the apple store or certified tech. After 2 years of global travelling and abuse I had the same problem with my RMBP 15 and it was fixed in 5 minutes for free.

But one thing to underline: does this little thing make everything else out there look stone age!!

7. Fireball Dragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

Thanks for the replies. Mine is not loose, but there is a certain amount of swag at the top part of the screen. This can be noted when you move the MacBook around with the screen opened, for example.

8. Fireball Dragon thread starter macrumors 6502a

Fireball Dragon

By way of update:

There is still some swag/movement in the screen. Has anyone else not noticed this when writing on a slightly wobble table? A little annoying to see the screen bounce. Okay, try using your Macbook in a car! lol

Some reassurance is that I went into the Apple Store today. All the display models were like mine, so it does not appear to be a manufacturing defect. Just thinking if it is a compromise for having such a light computer.

9. andy9l macrumors 68000

If it was the same stiffness as older rMBPs you'd struggle to open it. The base simply isn't heavy enough. You'd have to prise it open with two hands.

10. Fuchal macrumors 68020

Exactly - with the thinner display chassis it'd also put additional stress onto the frame and potentially cause warping or damage over time.

11. Cvx5832 macrumors regular

Normal. It has to be loose enough so you can lift the lid without lifting the base.