Macbook hot! Whats up with that?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Tim018, Nov 7, 2010.

1. Tim018 macrumors regular

Ok so recently my macbook seems to be getting hotter and hotter. Usually when it seems to be running above normal I can reset the pram or the smc and everything is back to normal...not now.

usually browsing macrumors or some non flash site would be around 45-55c with fans at 2000. not too shabby. right now just sitting idle on macrumors runs at around 65-70c with fans between 3000-3500. i was just reading a pdf of some sheet music (computer on piano, so plenty of ventilation) for about half an hour with no other processes running and it was at 70c!

so far ive reset the pram, smc, checked activ moniter (nonthing unusual), cleaned out the fans, itunes helper is my only login item. so whats happening here? any ideas what else to try? has the thermal paste possibly warn off? thanks for any ideas.

...clarification...this is a late '08 macbook pro with the two video cards. i have it on the lower card for heat purposes. browsing a text only site with the upper card is around 80c or so. and i don't have apple care anymore so i can't bring it into apple and whine.

2. mulo macrumors 68020

mulo

yeah you can, I got the logicboard replaced on my previous MBP :D

3. RKpro macrumors 6502

Sounds like software problem to me. I have the same generation mbp, and if it gets toasty while on the 9400m, it must cpu intensive tasks that are heating up your lap.

Open up Activity Monitor, and list tasks in descending order of cpu utilization. See if what task is using a lot of CPU cycles. If nothing is obvious, upload a screen shot here, maybe we can help you find it.

4. Darrenyo macrumors member

Mine gets a little hot when watching videos on youtube but thats it really.

Check your activity monitor under utilities and make sure there isn't anything running thats eating up your cpu.

5. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

mine does this too sometimes. Randomly when all i am doing is reading stuff on the web... (no flash, i have clickto and ad blocker installed) I never really thought about it though.

6. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009