Macbook - How to disable the main display without sleep mode?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by davidcmc, Feb 23, 2010.

1. davidcmc macrumors regular

I'm using my Macbook Pro as a desktop computer. It is connect to my 32" LCD TV through a Mini DisplayPort -> DVI and a DVI -> HDMI cable.
    All is working correctly, except that I don't want to use the Macbook display, I just want to disable it.
    I know I can just turn the brightness all the way down until there's no image, but this method won't properly disable the display.
    Another way is to close the Macbook, wait for it to go in sleep mode (white light blinks) and then move the mouse until the screen appears in the TV. This method really disables the main display (it no longer appears in the Displays pannel at System Preferences), but is a lot inconvenient. I don't want to have to close the Macbook everytime I boot my system and don't want to let the Macbook powered on 24/7, even in sleep mode. I like to just turn my computer off and then power it on whenever I need to.

Simple question: Is there any way to LITERALLY DISABLE the main Macbook display, when connected to an external display, without the trick of sleep mode?

Thanks in advance.

--David

2. davidcmc thread starter macrumors regular

3. mac2x macrumors 65816

4. stuarthatto macrumors regular

Turn the display brightness right down, to off?

5. misterredman macrumors 6502a

misterredman

I do it this way with my macbook: turn it on and immediately close the lid. The internal display will stay off and the external one will be active.
    At that point I can even reopen the lid and the internal display won't turn on.

6. kolax macrumors G3

Close your Mac's lid so it goes to sleep, plug in the external display (TV) and then the TV will be the primary and only display. This is known as clamshell mode.

7. OttawaGuy macrumors 6502a

OttawaGuy

Do MB's have anything comparable to Function F5/F7?
    That's where you can have the laptop display here, there or both.

[​IMG]

8. davidcmc thread starter macrumors regular

That is the method I mentioned on my post and I'm currently using.
    I'm looking for a method to turn the main display off without having to close the lid.

9. mac2x macrumors 65816

It's software based, in System Preferences. Drag the menu bar to another display.

Attached Files: