MacBook idles hot even with no CPU usage

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by aaronius, May 10, 2009.

1. aaronius macrumors newbie

Greetings all,

I've been trying and trying to get my 2007 Macbook C2D to run cooler. It idles at about 60-65 C even with no CPU usage (verified through Activity Monitor etc) and it used to get up to 95+ when playing any sort of video (Youtube etc) which would cause playback stuttering and other problems after 15-20 minutes.

I've tried a number of techniques to drop the temperature, most recently undervolting with Coolbook. Interesting, these have been relatively successful at lowering the *peak* temperature-- videos now only bump the CPU temp up to 70 C or so-- but it still idles at the exact same temperature it did before, around 60.

Does anyone have any theories why the idle temperature would remain high even after I've reduced the peak temperature, and even when CPU usage is hovering between 2 and 5 percent?

Thanks in advance!

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Its probably some poorly applied thermal paste. There are some videos wither on ifixit or youtube that show you haw to open it up and reapply the thermal paste. Mine used to idle at 60C until I ran Coolbook, now it idles at 54C or less.

3. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

4. priller macrumors regular