Macbook, iMac, or Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Mjmar, Jun 29, 2008.

1. Mjmar macrumors 65816

Hi!
    I've posted about this topic once before, but I keep finding myself coming back to the same dilemma. I can't decide between the iMac, Macbook, and Macbook Pro. Before I start, I should mention that I am only 16 and make minimum wage, so money is a pretty big factor for me. Basically, I want a Mac for iLife, the amazing OS, fast speeds, design, ease of use, and all of the extra goodies. Nothing more than that really. Unfortunately, there is a drawback with each of the products that I'm choosing from. The iMac is a desktop, and I'm not sure that a desktop is what I need. It's not that I want to take my new mac with me everywhere, but being able to take it around the house is a big plus. I'm scared that the Macbook screen might be a tad bit too small for my liking. And, the Macbook Pro is just plain expensive, and I'm not sure its worth the price for me. I don't want to sound picky. Those are what I have to choose from, and I will end up with one of them. I would really appreciate some input. Thank you very much. :)

2. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

here's what I would get if I were you. a Low end iMac. This will give you a good GPU and a large hard drive, and for portability, taking notes at school, light browsing, get an eee PC

3. heatmiser macrumors 68020

I'd get the Macbook if I were you. Much cheaper than the MBP (though still overpriced), and there's no way I'd ever buy a desktop, so that rules out the iMac.

4. Chandler Adaway macrumors 6502a

Chandler Adaway

Have you ever used a Macbook?
    The screen really isn't an issue once you start using it.
    Sure, in writing it sounds not so promising, but go to an Apple store, or mess with your friends... It's not that bad at all.

You don't need a MBP IMO and an iMac sounds pleasing other than the fact that you can't take it with you anywhere you need to.

I myself am getting the high end iMac with the 3.06 in it. :)

I have an HP laptop if I really need to bring a computer around somewhere, and after the purchase of the iMac, I will be buying a Macbook to replace my HP.

But no doubt is a laptop useful..
    Looking back at it, I don't know what I would do without having a portable computer. I just wish it was a macbook. :p

I myself am 15, so I know what you mean by money being an issue.

I would totally cross MBP off the list if I were you.

Good luck! :)

5. carson44 macrumors member

I myself am 16 making minium wage, in this same boat. i crossed MBP of my list. I dont know if i want a imac or macbook...i have a toshiba laptop now. i think im going go with the low end macbook...and i really hope i like using a mac over a pc. good luck!!!!

6. idyll macrumors 6502

Do you use your computer outside of the house ever? If not, get a desktop. Better screen, ergonomics, and faster performance thanks to the desktop hard drive.

If you need the mobility, then MacBook without a doubt.

7. Mjmar thread starter macrumors 65816

Thank you all for the replies :) I have taken your advice into consideration, and crossed the Macbook Pro off of my list. Now I need to decide between the iMac and the Macbook. Honestly, I don't really plan on taking my laptop out of the house. But, I would love portability so I could take it everywhere around my house. But then again, I would love the comfort of having an iMac at the same time. This is hard to decide!

8. sargent bannana macrumors member

I am 15 and when you talk about money being an issue yes it is. Atleast you have job i have none :mad: though i saved enough to be able to buy a macbook but still deciding. iIf i were you wich i am in hte sam position i would get a low end macbook and then buy 1 gb of ram and add it to the 1gb that the low end mac came with and you have got yourself a prett good system. though i want a black book (sighs) its more than i saved and the low end macbook does not have a super drive so go for the second in command. mbp is too expensive and you dont really need it. imac is very nice but not portable and th mb is good for what you want. not so hot for gaming much.