Macbook immediately shuts off when unplugged

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Don Nguyen, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Don Nguyen macrumors member

This just started happening today. My Macbook that I purchased in 2010 will simply just shut off if I disconnect it from the charger now.

When I push the battery indicator button on the side, all of the lights just blink simultaneously.

What can the issue be and how should I go about diagnosing this issue?

I already did a scan of my hard drive's life and they came back ok/positive.

2. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

If you remove power and it shuts down, my first guess would be a battery issue.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

4. Don Nguyen thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the suggestions. Just checked it and the status of the battery does say to replace it. My next question now is where would the best places be to look for a new battery replacement to purchase at?

Thanks!

-Don

5. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

Apple or Other World Computing (http://macsales.com)

6. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

ifixit.com also sells Apple OEM batteries.

7. Don Nguyen thread starter macrumors member

Awesome. Will check out those two sites. The batteries are a lot cheaper than I was expecting, so it seems like it will be easy and cheap enough to replace luckily. How does OEM compare to the Nutech batteries?

Also, as a side note, from doing additional reading. Is it possible that maybe the battery connector is just simply loose from the laptop being bumped around after so many years or would there be several other indicators that would say/tell otherwise.

8. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

If the battery was disconnected or not recognized, the lights would flash differently. Check the link I posted previously for more info.