MacBook iMovie Storage

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by gcotn, Mar 28, 2012.

1. gcotn macrumors newbie

I got my first mac (white MacBook) about a year and a half ago. I never touched a mac before that, but I wanted something mainly for video editing. I've really enjoyed iMovie '11, but it's time for a storage solution. I've tried finding tutoring to no avail yet. I think I just want to external probably 2tb, and leave internal as is. I'm open to any advice or online tutorials you may know of. I've never used external drives for ANY machine... not the most savvy guy.

Need to know:

-Best plug and play, VERY SIMPLE external drive (no software would be great). 2tb for around $100 if possible.
    -How to maximize efficiency with iMovie to external drive, i.e. Is it easiest to have a secondary operating system on the external drive?

Thanks!

2. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

The only 2TB drives you'll find around $100 will be pretty poorly designed or slow. If speed isn't a main concern for you (although it probably should be for video editing) check out some of these. They aren't designed to be plug and play for mac but formatting a drive is dead simple. If you want something that's simply plug in and go you would be better off buy a "mac" hard drive which usually cost more but come with firewire (faster interface). What model macbook do you have? It will have an effect on if you can get firewire 400 or 800. Personally though, on your budget and only working in iMovie, I'd say the USB ones should do.

As far as your second question, you're over-thinking it. Just drop the files in a folder on the external and make sure it's plugged in when you go to edit. It will work fine. iMovie isn't all that complex so there's not really much you can do. Certainly don't go through the hassle of installing the OS onto the external, that just makes things more complicated and would actually SLOW things down. When a program is trying to read and write off the same drive (like while rendering) it will be slow. That's why having an external (even USB, although firewire is better) is always suggested for video editing.

Hope that helps.

3. gcotn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks! I really don't understand how to judge their speed. Wouldn't depend on my internal ram?

I've heard Western Digital is a good brand. This HP has the same specs as the WD for super speed. What do you think of this one? http://www.google.com/products/catalog?hl=en&q=western+digital+external+2tb&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.r_qf.,cf.osb&biw=1280&bih=666&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=18358900929149680853&sa=X&ei=29x0T6GcLO_r0QHz_NXKDQ&ved=0CMUBEPMCMAU

4. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Technically harddrives have RPM speeds (often 5400 or 7200) but you won’t notice much of a difference. The speed I was referring to was transfer speed of the interface (USB, FW, etc). Excluding Thunderbolt (which you wouldn’t have) the fastest interface on a mac is firewire but it often comes with a hefty pricetag around $50 more than it’s USB counterparts. Like I said, for only iMovie USB is fine but firewire is always going to be better.

The HP you posted would probably work although, personally, I wouldn’t trust it. HP is known for making computers, not harddrives. And, for that matter, their computers aren’t even that great. Personally I stick with WD, Lacie or Seagate for my harddrives most of the time although, ultimately, it’s your decision.

It is a little expensive but I can tell you that a few months ago I bought [URL="http://www.macworld.com/product/799886/seagate_goflex_desk_for_mac_external_drive_2tb.html”]this[/URL] harddrive and it runs well. Unfortunately it costs around $170 at least and if your macbook is older and running firewire 400 than you would only be able to use it for USB anyway.

5. gcotn thread starter macrumors newbie

6. gcotn thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm re-posting, for some my whole post didn't show on the last reply. I was saying that link doesn't work for some reason, but would this drive be what you were talking about? Price is pretty low, but Amazon says it's an updated Seagate model: http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-FreeAgent-GoFlex-External-STAC2000106/dp/B005IA84AA/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

7. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

Similar. That's the PC model of it with USB 3.0 rather than firewire. Technically USB 3.0 is faster but no mac currently has it so you'd only get USB 2.0 speeds which aren't great. The mac version of it, if you find it, looks exactly the same but in silver. Let's see if this link works. Also, apparently, this is a newer model of the same thing. Not sure what the difference is but it's cheaper. Probably more eco-friendly as well.

I'm also confused as to what mac you have. You claim it's the 13" White but then list the year as 2011. The white was discontinued in order to move the low end macbook over to the air so there was no 2011 model.

Just to figure out hat firewire port you have though. On the left side of your computer you should see (from up by the screen, going toward the front)

1) Charging port
    2) Ethernet Port
    3) Display Port
    4) Firewire

Etc etc. That's as far as we need. The firewire port, which of these does it look like?

Firewire 400: [​IMG]
    Firewire 800: [​IMG]

If it's the 800 the port will be rotated because that picture is from an iMac but you get the gist.

Firewire 400 is older and slower but still better than USB. Firewire 800 even better and easier to find these days. The drive I mentioned above uses firewire 800. If all else fails though you can buy adapters between the two.

What is also convenient with firewire is that it can be daisy chained. This means that say, in the future, you want more harddrive space. Rather than taking up another port on your computer you can simply plug one firewire drive into another and then plug that one into your computer. Your mac will then be able to read both drives as individual externals but you keep desk clutter down.

8. gcotn thread starter macrumors newbie

My bad on the year. It was actually purchased in '10, but it had '11 os I guess because that's the iMovie version I have. Apparently I have no firewire. After the display port I have two usb's. But I can just use an adapter for that, right?

9. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

You could but it will take the speed of what it's bring plugged into so you might as well just buy a USB drive. Odd that it has no firewire though, they must have removed it from that model for some unknown reason.

So yeah, don't worry about the extra price of a "mac" hard drive. All it will have different is firewire hat you can't effectively use anyway. Any PC hard drive will work fine and if you want to format it to work most effectively with your mac just look around the forum for formatting guides. I know it's been posted a million times, dead simple to do.

10. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

The last of the macbooks does not have firewires anymore only USB ports.

11. gcotn thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks man. I found a WD that seems to be popular for macs. I friend of mine is going to give me a little tutoring and said it looks like a newer version of what he has had for some time. Here's the format instruction someone gave in a review. Definitely looks simple:

FORMATTING DRIVE FOR THE MAC
    1. From the Applications folder select: Utilities, Disk Utilities.
    2. Select (on left side): 2 TB WD Ext HDD 1021 Media
    3. Select (on right side): partition tab
    4. Select (under Volume Scheme): Partition 1
    5. (Optionally): Give the drive a NAME under Volume Information
    6. Click: OPTIONS
    7. Click: GUID Partition Table
    8. Click: OK
    9. Click: Apply
    10. Click: Partition

I saw in some youtube tutorials saying you have to click erase when you do this, but in this review it doesn't say that. Not sure why erasing your current laptop files would be necessary.??

12. AcesHigh87 macrumors 6502a

AcesHigh87

It wouldn’t erase your laptop files, it would erase the files on the harddrive (required for a re-format). Either tactic will work in this case though. Just make sure your format is set to Mac OS Extended (Journaled). This will make it impossible for the drive to be used on windows but makes it run the best it can on mac. If you do want it to be recognized by windows as well I suggest making a windows formatted partition on the drive.

13. gcotn thread starter macrumors newbie

My last reply isn't showing as posted. I was saying that I realized my internal hd was only 250gb. For some reason I was thinking it was 650. In light of that, I'm considering increasing internal first. It would be nice to have a 1tb internal drive, but of course they get more spendy just being notebook internals. I'm open to any advice you may have. I've been told not go less than 7200 rpm speed wise.

I really appreciate your help in the external hd info because I'm going to get one eventually anyway, so you've shed some very good light on that subject.

Thanks!