MacBook in a clamshell.... CAN IT BE DONE?!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ImYourGuy, Mar 14, 2011.

1. ImYourGuy macrumors newbie

Hi everyone.

I'm some jackass who has a hope and a dream that I might be able to walk around town with a lime clamshell "G3"-series laptop that would actually be a MacBook inside.

I've wanted a clamshell iBook since I first saw one when I was about 7 in Legally Blonde. Sadly, the clamshell's usefulness was already caput by the time I was old enough to actually need a computer (nevermind a laptop). I'm 18 now and I have some time... a tiny bit of knowhow... and a dream.

I have a white unibody intel core duo MacBook. It's the 2.0 GHz model from 2006, with 512 MB od 667 MHz DDR2 ram. It has the superdrive and it has a after-purchase 160gb HD in it. It has tiger on it. It's been kind of beaten up (cracks all over the case) and it's getting kind of old-ish, a little slow (probably due to only 512mb of ram)... and I want to put it inside a clamshell case.

I don't know anything about computer innards, but I know a little bit about how to sodder. I really want to make this work.

Will anyone help? I'm hoping someone with a passion for vintage macs is willing to be my leader in this, tell me what I can and can't use. I have many questions and will need a lot of help. For starter's info, it doesn't matter to me what the end capability of the computer is as long as it is an internet-capable machine with the speed and hard drive of the MacBook. i.e., I don't care if the hard drive works. I don't care if it has the old resolution of the clamshell. I would like either the audio jack and at least on USB to work. I would like AirPort to work. I would like the trackpad to work.

Can I use the clamshell's display, power source, and keyboard? Can I simply pull out the clamshell's motherboard and sodder the macbook's in exactly how it was... then replace the ram with the clamshell's ram... then replace the hard drive... and then skip home?

Is the best approach to try and switch macbook components into the clamshell... or should I just gut the clamshell completely, gut the macbook, and try to fit everything into the clamshell (shouldn't be hard since it's bigger)? I know it might be hard, but it can't be TOO hard - I mean, PC guys simply go out and buy a case and fill it with whatever the heck they want.

2. 0007776 Suspended

Unfortunately it probably isn't possible. The ports wouldn't line up, I don't think you could hook up the old display, and I'm not sure that the logicboard would physically fit anyway. Laptops are not the best machines to mod, even in the PC world you can't do much too them.

3. macbwizard macrumors 6502

macbwizard

You'd have to do some crazy modifications including drilling out new ports and probably putting a new display in there (if I remember right, those came with 800x600 displays). Basically taking everything out and trying to fit the innards of your MB in there somehow.

It's possible, but it might be hard to make it look good.

Also, have you actually had one of those clamshells in your hands? They are HUGE and HEAVY. I do think they look nice though.