Macbook in backpack wth dslr - risk of damage?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kapybarus, Apr 15, 2015.

1. Kapybarus macrumors member

Hi, I like to carry my mbpro 13 in backpack with my dslr + 2 big glance.

I am worried if pressure on nb could do some damage to nb.

Is it risky? Thanks

2. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

What year MBP is it? I used to carry my 09 MBP around in a backpack with textbooks. It had some issues with the SATA cable failing often. One Genius had a theory that the design of the SATA cable in the unibody MacBook Pros would not stand up well to that kind of transporting. I'm not 100% sure that's the issue, but it's something to be aware of if you have an older 13" MBP.

As for general damage to the case, using a sleeve might help. If you have a newer retina MBP I'd recommend the sleeves from Rickshaw Bags. They're some of the only ones I could find back in 2013 that were designed for the rMBP. Incase made excellent neoprene sleeves for the older MBPs, but last I heard they hadn't designed new ones. Maybe the new retina MacBook will get them off their butts.

I'd also suggest making sure the camera and other things are in separate compartments from the MBP if you're using one bag. Then there's a little protecting rather than everything just bumping together in one compartment.

3. Kapybarus thread starter macrumors member

Thanks. I use sleave for mb 2014. Dslr and accessories are in other compartment, but pressure is definitely there.

4. dwfaust macrumors 68040

dwfaust

I have carried both a 13" MBA and a Nikon D7000 in a backpack on trips to Ethiopia, Ireland and Guatemala. Just make sure the backpack is padded enough to protect your tech, and exercise basic care, you should be fine.

5. bobcan macrumors 6502a

bobcan

Truly, depends upon the bag construction..

Truly, depends upon the bag construction, and how much you 'over-stuff it' and force it to do a poor job of safely insulating the two items accordingly..

I have had a Crumpler 'Whickey and Cox' bag for 5-6 years, never felt it was cramped, unless I made it that way!! Not sure they make the style anymore, but many friends that saw mine looked to buy one on ebay and elsewhere.. Well made and takes some abuse quite well too _ Good Luck in the Quest!!

http://www.digitalcamerareview.com/review/crumpler-whickey-and-cox-camera-bag-review/

6. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I use a Tom Bihn Brain Bag when I need my camera gear and laptop. Its a great backpack and keeps the laptop in a separate compartment. Its not really designed for a camera and laptop, but it is spacious that I can put the camera body in a compartment, the lenses in another and of course the laptop in its protected section.

7. blwade macrumors 6502

What??

I carried my 09 13" mbp to school for 5 years... in a backpack full of books and school supplies. Never had an issue with the SATA cable. The hard drive did fail on me every 3 years, but I think that is more because the computer was almost always on (computer science major).

It also took a long time of carrying it before I started to see some scratches...

I just recently bought a new hard drive (the 3rd one for that mbp) and gave it to my sister who need it for some web browsing and paper writing.

As far as the new rMBP... hearing stories about how fragile the screen is worries me! Since I'm not in school anymore, I have yet to take it out of the house... so I can't offer advice on that.

8. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Again, I'm not exactly sure what the issue with my 09 is. That was one Genius's theory. All I know is that it had a recurring sleep/wake issue that led to a lot of hard restarts and I carried it in a sleeve in a backpack for four years. I still have it as a secondary laptop, but it can't be trusted to not fail while I'm out and about.

My daily driver now is a late-2013 rMBP. So far it's held up well with a backpack full of books. It also doesn't get quite as much use time as the 09 did since I have an iPhone 5 and iPad Mini now that I didn't have back then.

9. tomnavratil macrumors 6502a

tomnavratil

I've travelled through Southeast Asia with my 13" rMBP 2014 in a sleeve and a full frame DSLR with two lenses in a Crumpler pouch and no issues at all. Just be careful how you put things in the backpack and you should be fine. I had other cables, accessories there and all good.

10. happyhippo1337 macrumors regular

Was asking myself the same thing. Recently purchased a 13' rMBP 2015 and with all this staingate talk and Apple employees telling customers not to apply any pressure to the MacBook, I'm looking for a good case to but in my backpack.

Do you think http://www.booqeurope.com/eu/sleeves/viper-case/VC13-GFT will do the trick?

cheers!