Macbook in Panic Mode. Restarting not working

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by katmacgurl, Mar 19, 2009.

1. katmacgurl macrumors newbie

Hi guys, it was recommended I come here for help with my macbook.\

I was instaling updates when the computer froze, and so I restarted it. A white screen with a bunch of jibberish appears every time I do. In the center it states " You need to restart your computer. Hold down the power button for several seconds or press the restart button."
    I've tried doing both, as well as a number of key combos to restart the computer. No matter what I do, I end up with the same screen with the same message.

Now, in the background of that message.. with all of the 00x001Aie9 type of lettering is the word "panic", twice. Wondering if that may mean anything? If it's in some sort of panic mode?

Any help would be appreciated.

Also, I'm in the middle of renovating, so I dont have my installation disk.

2. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

That's a kernel panic. It happens when there is a conflict in the machine like a eSATA drive being disconnected without ejecting first. Sometimes it is poorly programmed software.

Have you added any hardware or software recently? I would look to restore from a time machine backup if it is software related.

3. katmacgurl thread starter macrumors newbie

I was only installing the updates that the computer suggests. I didn't insert anything.

How would I restore from a time machine backup?

4. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

If you have dedicated a drive to time machine, just do the following:
    - start time machine - most users have it in their dock
    - choose a point in time before you noticed the kernel panics
    - click on restore in the bottom right
    - follow instructions

5. JediMeister macrumors 68040

That is restoring a particular file/folder. If you want to revert the ENTIRE system, you must boot to the first of the two installation discs and from under the Utilities menu, pick the Restore System from Backup option. Then you'll need to select a date prior to the updates. In reverting the entire computer back to that date, you'll of course regain some files you may have deleted or lose some files you may have created in the intervening period since that date. A printable copy of these steps can be found in this URL. After restoring, your computer will backup with Time Machine. After that, re-run your updates to get you up and running at full steam.