MacBook in shop - iTunes on external - use other MB?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by skybolt, Oct 8, 2007.

1. skybolt macrumors 6502a

My MacBook is in the shop. I keep my music on an external drive. My husband also has a MacBook. Anybody see any problem hooking my external to his MB, changing the iTunes library to my external, updating podcasts and iPod, then changing the library back to his (also on external, but not the same one)? While mine is gone, I'd love to be able to update and listen to current podcasts. Would this idea work? Would it be easier to create another user for me on his MB and go from there? No real need otherwise for a user account for me, but if that would be better we can do it.

Any better ideas?

Thanks in advance!

2. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

you could do that. i don't see a problem, except that you'd have to move his iTunes files out. might be easier on the both of you to just create a new user, but that's up to you

3. skybolt thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks! Well, his tunes are also on an external (not mine, another one), so thinking I could just attach my external to his computer, start iTunes with the option key down, choose my external and go from there. Then shut iTunes down. Unmount my external, attach his external, and open iTunes using the option key and choosing his external.

Hmmm, maybe a new user would be easier??? I guess that way, I'd have to specify the location of the file on my external and then it would be there for as long as my MB is in the shop, Still requires plugging and unplugging.

Thanks for your help! Nice to know I am/was on a workable plan!

4. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

actually you could do that. just whichever method you prefer to do.

why not leave both externals plugged up?

5. slunky macrumors newbie

Did you move your .itl and .xml files to your external drive? How did it work out for you?