Macbook In the Apple Store...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by crazyskillz07, Feb 22, 2008.

1. crazyskillz07 macrumors member

I was in the apple store. I was curious about the istat widget since my first mac has yet to be delivered. I downloaded the widget on 2 different macbooks. One black one white. I realized that they all had 2GB of ram in them even though they say they only have one. Whats up with that?

2. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

The ones on the store floor aren't neccessarily the stock models. So they put two gigs of RAM.

3. aristobrat macrumors G4

Where does it say that they have 1GB RAM?

The plastic signs next to the computers at my local Apple store show all of the different models that they have in stock, but it never says anything specifically about the computer that's sitting next to it.

4. Cyroceon macrumors 6502a

Cyroceon

Did you get what he said? He is saying that under About Mac, it says 2GB, but iStat is only displaying 1GB.

5. AliensAreFuzzy macrumors 68000

AliensAreFuzzy

Are you sure? Rereading the post, I have no idea what he means now.

6. crazyskillz07 thread starter macrumors member

Ok. So the sign next to the macbook has the model that it is in bold lettering. All the little signs next to the macbooks show 1GB. Black and white. However, the istat shows 2GB. So they say 1 but it has 2. Get it?

And i just read my original post. It doesnt make sense. lol Sorry about that. :apple:

7. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

iStat is correct in this case. As was stated above, the configurations for the MB's on the floor (no matter the color) have 2 gigs in them. The base configurations that are sold by Apple only have 1 gig, that is why the little signs say 1 gig and the Computer iStat says 2gigs. It's really not too hard to understand is it?

8. heatmiser macrumors 68020

Since no one's actually answered your question, I'll be the one to say it: they stock the machines with memory to make them look faster than they actually are. You get on a Macbook, see it fly at 2gb, and think the one you buy will be just like that. All about keeping up appearances.

9. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

his complaint is that it's misleading. you go in, see a sign next to a machine with specs and a price, play with said machine, purchase it thinking it's the one described on the sign, get home and your machine does not run as fast as the one in the store.

that's basically like going to a car dealership finding a car you like and the window sticker says it's a four cylinder, you test drive it thinking it's a four cylinder, putting an order for one, then finding out later the one you drove was actually a six cylinder.

10. crazyskillz07 thread starter macrumors member

My point is. The out of the three selections that are on the little sign... the one that is in bold says it has 1GB of ram. Yes it is always the base model. I just feel that if they have one out with 2GB's of ram, that is the one on the little sign that should be in bold.

Exactly.... lol Thanks! lol:D

11. markrivers macrumors 6502a

markrivers

truth in advertising!

whatever happens to truth in advertising??:confused::confused::confused:
    in the other forum, or maybe in this forum some smarty pants put his MBA on a manila envelope.. unfortunately somewhere along the way... gravity pulled him down the ground.. and his precious... ooohhh PRECIOUS MBA now has a noticable dent..
    he's consulting the members on how he can have it repaired/replaced etc :D:D:D

12. Ahuckaby macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

who would buy a car without looking under the hood?!

13. ipodtouchy333 macrumors 65816

Since we are talking about RAM.... I was wondering if I buy a macbook and installed RAM from somewhere else would that void my warranty..... what if I also got applecare? And what is the best RAM to get for a macbook

Thanks

By the way, you can proabably tell, I'm new to macs... thinking about getting ym first one !?

14. Ahuckaby macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/4A93 Safari/419.3)

who would buy a car without looking under the hood?!

15. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

From how I see how Apple displays their store units, they will place the signs of the options that they have, but the models that they are showing are not necessarily what the signs say, when I was shopping for my Macbook, I went to the store for a little "test-run" and they didn't have a sign for the mid-range one at all, but when I opened up system profiler, they had one set-up that wasn't even a current option. And for the iPhones that they have on display, all 8 of them as of monday are the 4GB models, so don't necessarily trust what the signs say.

16. crazyskillz07 thread starter macrumors member

No, installing ram will not void your warrenty as macbooks are user upgradable. I just ordered 4GBs of ram from crucial. Other than that i dont know what brands are good.

And you can also upgrade the harddrive without voiding the warrenty.

17. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

you still dont get it. he knows whats "under the hood" of the car/laptop he is going to buy but the the car/laptop he test drove would make him expect higher performance from it.

18. ZacUSNYR macrumors regular

The stores put whatever they want out and put a sign next to it with all the options/models they offer.

For $75 more I could have bought a brand new macbook with 2gb of ram at the store, I chose the 4gb non-apple route.

19. dj420118 macrumors regular

they want the machines running tip top so that they make sure u buy them :)

20. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

i dont think the OP would have an issue if they had bolded the correct specs on the sign

21. RHD macrumors 6502

He did look under the hood. And he's telling us what he found.
    He's right. It is misleading.

22. chriscl macrumors 6502

chriscl

Crucial or Kingston are probably your best bets right now.

23. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

i sold cars, i don't recall anyone ever asking to look, except the kids who came in to drool over the evos. some people don't even understand what a cylinder is, hell i know people who think civics are RWD. don't give people that much credit.

the point is, there's a sign there that says 1GB ram, and not that many people who go in and play with the displays are going to have any reason to look at the stats on it. if an ad says a car has 170HP, only a TINY percentage of those buyers are ever going to have that car on a dyno to prove or disprove it. my mother's laptop was running like crap tonight, i checked a few things and she had no clue what i was doing. i ran a defrag, she had never even heard of it before.

24. Fast Shadow macrumors 6502a

Most of the display Macs @ the Apple Stores are fully loaded with Final Cut Studio, Logic Studio, Adobe CS3, etc. I don't think anyone would expect the Mac you buy to come with all of that, now would they?

25. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

fail.

we are talking about the bolded hardware specs on the sign next to the macbook not matching the spec of the macbook.