Macbook Insight / Advice

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Coffee50, Sep 26, 2016.

1. Coffee50 macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I currently have a 2012 mbpro & I'm thinking of getting the 2016 Macbook. I like the size & portability of the new macbook (I've looked at the air, but there's something about the screen that I'm just not a fan of)

I'm primarily going to be using it for writing for my job. So it would be used daily for writing assignments (and of course, for general non work issues.....browsing the web, maybe doing light editing on iMovie, etc.)

Simply wanted to get opinions & thoughts from those who use the macbook as their primary computer on a day to day basis. (especially if you formally used a macbook pro)

Thanks for you insight.

2. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

i kept my (late-2015) macbook pro, am using it for music work (logic X) and some video editing (FCPX). doing everything else (including affinity photo) on the macbook... and loving it. the size, the keyboard (which i really like, took 10 minutes to get used to); the weight, battery life. screen.

haven't tried imovie on it, so someone else will need to chime in. but for everything i am doing, it feels snappy, works as well as my i7 macbook pro... am really happy with this thing.

3. Coffee50 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks!

I know it's on the lower powered it, but as long as it's quick & handles most of what I'm doing, I'll be good :)

Worst case, I have 14 days to return to Apple, so thinking I'll keep my pro just in case.

4. where is it macrumors 6502

where is it

Once you start using it I doubt your'll need your Pro anymore

5. alanholden macrumors newbie

I had a rMBP (Late 14) for 2 years and then got a m7 MacBook, it has actually seriously impressed me with performance and I didn't realise quite how big my rMBP was until I got the new MacBook, I can now use this as an iPad and have in fact hardly touched my iPad since getting this. I also love the new keyboard which was one of my main concerns before purchasing

6. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

Everything you want to do, rMB can do without any problems. But since you will write a lot, I simply can't recommend rMB. You will get used to keyboard, thats not an issue. But the keyboard quality is (to put it mildly) poor. Stuck keys and failing out keys... And I am a touch typist.

I love this machine, but after getting it fixed, I will sell it and return to pro.

7. Silvestru Hosszu macrumors member

My question is similar but also different.
    I am considering replacing my aging surface pro 3 with the rMB. I need it for mobility use it exclusively for Microsoft Office and web browsing. For me battery life is essential and I prefer fluid interface, dropped frames and stuttering can be really annoying.
    Is it any major difference in this scenario between the m3, m5 or m7?

Any input is welcomed. Thank you in advance.

8. pmouritz macrumors member

I sold my 2012 rMBP 15" with I7 2.3 GHz quad core and bought the 2016 m3 rMB. I really enjoy it and its performance is more than adequate for web browsing, text editing, watching videos, doing light photo editing and iMovie. I would definitely go a head and do the 'upgrade' from a big heavy rMBP to a feather weight rMB ;)
    There is a performance difference of a bout 15-20% from the m3 to m5 and about the same percentage difference from the m5 to m7. I would not recommend the m7 but if you need more storage and worry a lot about performance, you could go get the m5.

9. macintoshmac, Nov 11, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 11, 2016

macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

Hi, what are your thoughts now? Have you tried the new Macbook Pro with butterfly keyboard? Would you still return to the Pro?

10. DNichter macrumors 68040

DNichter

Easy choice, go for it. Best computer I've ever owned. Really happy with the size, screen, speed, and keyboard.

11. brookter1 macrumors member

Perhaps you were unlucky and had a bad unit?

I've been using mine every day (give or take one or two) since August 2015, several hours a day (and I'm a touch typist too) and haven't had a single problem with it. No stuck keys, no falling out keys, no problems at all.

Otherwise it's an excellent second computer. I use it for writing and research (Scrivener, Tinderbox, Devonthink Pro Office) and I couldn't be more pleased with it. The only issues are with Tinderbox, where the screen is a little small and the computer slows down slightly when moving around large maps - It's still usable, though.

12. fisherking macrumors 603

fisherking

no problem with the keyboard here either. funny, my macbook pro is now my 'second machine' (for music/video work). am living on the MB, and it's great...

13. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

"Upgraded" from a 2011 MBP to this. Used MBP 3-4 times a week. I use this daily but still in the "it's New" faze. Love it. Seems snapper. Probably due to more memory and SSD drive.

14. kb3tzt macrumors member

kb3tzt

have a 2015 rmb with 1.2 and 512 ssd. use it clamshell as my desktop replacement. i used to have a windows machine running a 4.2ghz but it killed itself due to windows 10 nasty reboot loop. came over to apple with this model, and i use it like i did my other machine... photo editing for work. no issues so far. love the portability of this thing, was able to edit 838 photos on a cruise without any issues. best of all, i get to run an external keyboard for 90% of the time.... my ducky with cherry blue switches..... never gonna give it up. just wish some better docking stations were available for wire management. with the new rmbps coming out, there is hope of more stuff to take advantage of usb-c.

15. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

I would rather wait for keyboard upgrade. I have tried new MBP, but only in apple store. I plan on purchasing either 3rd gen rMB, or rMBP 13 without TB. But waiting for release od 3rd gen rMB, since I really don't want to risk with the keyboard.

I tought so too. But google it up, or even search this forums. A lot of indentical stories to my own. But really a lot :(
    But if you are among lucky ones, congrats. I would love to have one again, but only if I would be 100% sure the keyboard won't fail me :)

16. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

Thanks! If not for your post, I would never have known this, since I am far from MS land for about 6 years. Wow. Killed motherboards. Apple would have had to face serious bad PR for it, somehow MS seems to be getting less heat.

Anyway then, slightly off topic, but I was in the market for a very good hackintosh-compatible rig I would primarily use to run W10 for games like GTA V, Far Cry, Assassins Creed, etc. Now, that machine would be costing me around $1000, and I definitely do not want a fried motherboard.

Any way around that? Has MS decidedly fixed that issue?

17. brookter1 macrumors member

A quick search on this forum shows a few threads (not really 'a lot') on keyboard problems over the last few months and one of them was yours. If there were as many problems as you suggest, then the place would be inundated with complaints and it isn't. When you consider that forums have an inherent bias towards those reporting complaints rather than satisfaction, then I'm not sure you can say that there is a massive problem with defective keyboards.

Some people clearly have had bad units and that's really annoying if it happens to you, until you get it replaced (which it will be), buut I don't think it's accurate to claim that it's a typical or widespread experience.

18. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

A few threads? A little more then few. Check out apple forums as well. And no, I don't have any threads open. Just posted in a couple of them. I had my keyboard replaced 3 times now. And I am aware that forums usually have purpose to complain about something, justified or not.

In last ten years I wrote 0 posts online about MBP keyboard. Since I had no issues with it. But this is the first time I see this problem with a larger number of users. Just in my workplace out of 8 rMB, 3 keyboards got stuck in the first 6 months of usage. But indeed, 5 are still working like a charm after more then a year.

Now, I do agree that majority of users probably don't have this issue. But this problem isn't some 'below 1%' problem. And all I did was give advice to avoid rMB until Apple updates the keyboard. And they will update it for sure.

19. rukind2 macrumors newbie

You've had a bad experience, and I feel your pain, but don't throw the baby out with the bath water. Your experience sucks, but the sample set is too small to infer that this is widespread or rises to a need "to avoid rMB until Apple updates the keyboard."

20. kb3tzt, Nov 12, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2016

kb3tzt macrumors member

kb3tzt

it had more to do with windows 10 ann. update. ive read some articles that ms 10 will not support older hardware, after that update. intel and amd are to fall inline, as each new series of processor will not officially support older hardware. my cpu was 3 yrs old, and still for sale, an amd fx6300 oc'd to 4.2. system worked like a champ for 3+ years, 2 wks after the update, i kept getting a windows heat issue. checked all my cooling, 6 fans and a cpu cooler that looks like a large v8 engine. error went away. apps started to crash even with updated versions. finally near the end, windows would loop a reboot. every time it rebooted, it wrote an error to a log, the log filled up to the point windows would not boot. windows would not reinstall or anything. so in essence, it choked itself to death. so to work around it, stay away from any system with the anniversary update, invest the most into the graphics card and go with an older chipset build and processor , as they are the most stable. AND NEVER EVERY UPDATE!!!!

ms is getting a lot of heat, but its swept away.

im sure the board is good, maybe not... could not even get into the bios after the crash. sad thing is my graphics card was excellent, an nvidia gtx 960 with 2gb ram with oc. never had any issues with games or video editing. sad, sad sad.

sorry for the ms rant!!

wish apple allowed for over clocking..... oh well can still dream, but im happy with the stability of the macos.

21. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

"allowing" is not something Apple is being really good at, lately. :)

22. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

It's not that I don't agree with you, but I really feel that you are not really aware of this keyboard. Look at this brand new topic, read the first post:

http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/700-cycles-heres-the-battery-stats.2014227/#post-23905474

When I sold my rMB, battery was on 94% health after 150 cycles. So all good in my book. But too many topics about battery failing as well. Just like keyboard. But that doesn't mean rMB doesn't have an issue with battery as well. I didn't have it, but many do.

Don't get me wrong. I still think rMB is a fantastic little machine. And I plan on buying one again, but not until they fix these issues. Problem is not everyone has apple store near by, so we have to deal with local repair shops authorised by Apple. While that's ok, it's not as half as good like apple store and their support. So to gamble in that situation or not?

I know I won't do the gamble again :)

23. rukind2 macrumors newbie

We can agree to disagree but making issue awareness a counterpoint is weak. A brand new thread does not change my opinion that you crossed into hyperbole by saying the problem affects more than 1% of all rMB owners.

Question: did you give the buyer of your rMB full disclosure about its repair history and how keyboard failure is a widespread issue? Guess not.

24. c0ppo macrumors 6502a

c0ppo

Since it has been sold to my friend, yea, he knows it all. He got the rMB with Apple Care and brand new keyboard. If the rMB has to be repaired again, I will ask for a new laptop or a refund. No point in additional repairs when it's obvious that this rMB is beyond repairing.

25. macintoshmac macrumors 68000

macintoshmac

Ah, the dangers of guessing.