MacBook install FW800 Petition

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by PracticalMac, Nov 24, 2010.

1. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Using USB2 for backup's (Time Machine or such) on MacBook is like watching grass grow!

FW800 is about 3.5x faster then USB2.

Send Apple feedback, INSTALL FW 800!
    http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbook.html

Note: FW800 HDD drives are EASY to find and buy online, and some stores do carry them (Fry's, for instance).

If not FW, what about eSATA??.
    eSATA is limited to HDD only (AFAIK), but drives are just as common as FW800.
    Even have a combo-eSATA/USB connection.
    (But really, FireWire is an APPLE technology, and an excellent one at that!)

Some would say USB3, possible, selection is currently limited and expensive, but it is there (BTW, did you know USB3 is much closer to FW800 then USB2?
    USB3 supports USB2 only by piggy backing the USB2 chips within the USB3 chip, they are 2 separate components on chip)

2. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Not one comment?

Everyone send feedback to Apple?
    Or just looked and moved on?

3. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

It's an interesting idea, but let's face it: most people who buy MacBooks are looking to own a Mac because it's cool, or because they just switched from PCs and are looking for the cheapest Mac laptop available. Or something like that. I'd say most of the people that I know who own MacBooks aren't even aware of what FireWire is.

Those people who do know what it is and want it are not likely to be put off by spending $200 more for the base 13" MBP with FW800.

FireWire isn't a big demand in the target demographic for the MacBook (especially the current one).

4. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Informed customer looks at MacBook.
    no eSATA?
    no USB3?
    no port to connect high speed transfer cable.

walks away.

If not FW800, then eSATA or USB3, PLEASE

5. Cougarcat macrumors 604

The MacBook will never get eSata or FireWire. USB3 will come when it's included in Intel's chips.

6. old-wiz macrumors G3

Lots of people who buy MacBooks have no idea what USB3 or eSATA or Firewire is so it's not a factor in their decision to buy.

MacBooks are looking to a lower market than MacBook Pros, so they don't bother with firewire.

Apple isn't going to add Firewire to the MacBooks.

And what about LightPeak? Supposed to be a lot faster, but it's not coming soon.

We might see USB3.0 in the next MBP, but it depends on Intel having the chip in their chipset. I'd say USB 3.0 is more likely than eSATA for the MacBook.

7. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Wrong. A customer looking for those things doesn't even consider the MacBook in the first place. They'd be starting with the 15" MBP most likely.

Like I said, and as old-wiz has pointed out, FW800 is not a consideration for the vast majority of the target demographic of the MacBook. Most of that demographic doesn't even know what FW is. USB3 is much more likely because it is the next evolution of USB.

8. el-John-o macrumors 65816

I should mention that even FireWire 400 is faster in sustained throughput than USB 2.0, you mentioned backing up with USB, you should really consider using FW400!

I would love to see an ExpressCard. That's ALL it needs. Then you can add whatever port your heart desires. My acer laptop didn't have eSata, but that's where Rosewill and their inexpensive eSata ExpressCard comes in!

But the Macbook is the "Model T" of Apple Computers. That's why it's barely customizable compared to other macs. It's a cookie cutter computer, which helps keep the cost down. Also, like the above have said, FW800 and eSata are rarely concerns of most MacBook consumers, even MBP consumers, unless they are doing Video editing. I am part of that small group that would like to see it, since I'm about to get a Macbook (for sheer cost, I'd rather have the MBP but I can't justify spending more for features and performance I won't use, for me, I have an office Desktop and a Desktop at home, and an iMac soon, all which outperform any MBP, and I don't need portable power.) What I plan on doing, though, is backing up using WiFi. Just leave her running every so often and let it back up over night. That's what I do with my laptop now even though it HAS the eSata card. Once a week, it runs disk defrag on the Windows partition, my AV software runs, and a backup is performed to an eSata external drive attached to my desktop. (The ironic thing is, when I get my macbook, I can eliminate two our of those three weekly tasks haha!)

Beyond that, the only other use would be video editing from an HD camcorder, which the Macbook is also not the prime machine to be doing that. It's certainly capable, but if that is of major concern an upgrade to a MBP should REALLY be considered. I do a lot of DSLR photography, and FW400 is enough to go through the drive quickly, pull up pics, etc. It's a little slow for backing up pictures from lightroom and things like that, but it certainly makes the drive ALOT more "usable" than say, using USB 2.0 (I have a drive with USB2, FW400/800 and eSata, it's kind of nice to see all of the comparisons!)

-John

9. seveej macrumors 6502a

seveej

Wrong. Many people (me included) would not want a >= 15" machine as portability is a major concern. Other people want fast Desktop buses, but can't afford the price hike.

What do you think the price would be for Apple to add FW 800 -ports to macbooks and MBAir's?

A few bucks a piece?

True, but also significantly reduced sales of MBPro's.

When Apple back in the days scrapped FW-supprt from macbooks they did it for a reason.
    That's the downside to being married to a monopolistic HW-vendor.

Pekka

10. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Uhh... so get the 13" MBP. It has FW800 and is actually smaller than the 13" MB. It's only $200 more than the MB, thus within reach of 95% or so of the people buying a MB in the first place.

11. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Mine has FireWire. :D Before they took it out to dumb down the macbook of course.

That said, I rarely use it other than for the occasional video transfer.

USB2 works fine with Time Machine if you back up every day. It only takes a few minutes for me at most.

12. PracticalMac thread starter macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

the MB case is more durable then the MBP.
    Better for those who are less careful handling a $899+ piece of equipment.

13. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

Case made entirely out of polycarbonate vs case made entirely out of aluminum...

Considering my job is to work with both those materials, and I have more than 3 years experience in said job and field, I can tell you with great certainty that the aluminum case is definitely more durable. It may dent, but given enough pressure the polycarbonate will crack and the aluminum won't. For durability, my money is on the aluminum any day.